Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

VW R32 vs. VW GTI 337

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Skimmer0220 
#1 ·
idk if anyone knows about the 2002 VW GTI 337 but im a VW freak and i know alot about alot about VW but yeah this 2002 GTI 337 is a golf its like the R32 but its only front wheel drive they only made 1500 for the US in 2002 and they are pretty rare to come by so if you ever come across one like i just did buy it like i hope to do. but tell me what you think about this match up google them both and look at there stats it would be a great match up!

#2 ·
I think we're all VW freaks here haha.

And the R32 would spank the 337. 337 only has a 20v 1.8T engine, with 180hp. The R32 has a 3.2L 24v VR6 with 237bhp and 236 ft-lb of torque, not to mention AWD.

Not really a competition in my eyes.

#5 ·
The 337 is just the coupe hatch version of the GLI... So Ryan is 100% correct.. FWD, 180 horsepower.

Horrible match up. Numbers don't match, drivetrain doesn't match... The only thing they share is a basic platform.

#4 ·
i would pick the R32 any day...

#11 ·
I know this is an old thread and I am a NEWB - looking for 2002 GTI 337 expertise/knowledge..... the VIN on the GTI we bought says it is a 337 edition & it does in fact have the factory lowered springs - but those are the only 2 things confirming it is a 337 - I feel pretty solid about the VIN reporting correctly - but the car is black, has a sunroof, does not have body effect lowers front and side, has factory 17" rims, has nice leather bucket seats, but not the recaro, does not have the brushed aluminum dash parts or pedals. So - is this maybe an early 2002 release of the 337 ? Looks like manf & original delivery date is 10/30/2001 - excited to have a 337 - but bummed it doesn't have all what the claimed 337 is supposed to have.... cool & fun car - what brought all this to light is - we found a broke rear coil spring & it seems since only 1500 of these imported to the US - finding a used coil spring is going to be like impossible - so will have to eat the dealer price. Any thoughts and insights to 337 expertise & validation this is an early edition 337 - thank you all kindly for the many many years late dropping into this thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.