Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Clicking noise from engine. Valve adjustment?

22K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Vixen 
#1 ·
Clicking noise from the engine. Sounds like it needs a valve adjustment. I couldn't find any info here about valve adjustments on a VR6 (2000). I'm not familiar with the internal workings of the VR6. Might it need a valve adjustment or could this be something else?

#2 ·
Valve tick is normal on these cars, more so than Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, etc. Well... The Ford Focus has some loud tick lol, but check your oil, make sure its full. Otherwise, as long as the car is running well, valves should be fine...

#5 ·
It's pretty constant and hardly noticeable when I'm in the drivers seat. However, it's loud enough when I open the hood that it draws concern. I'm at about 115K miles.

#6 ·
Its probably injector solenoid click, like Green was talking about with Fords.

#8 ·
Well if you haven't gotten your timing chains does it's most likely that. They're supposed to be done at 100k and they can get pretty fcukin' loud when they're bad. Go on youtube and type in vr6 timing chain noise and see if it's the same sound.

#9 ·
Mine has a ticking noise as well. Can't hear it in the drivers seat but when the hoods open it's very distinct. Thats at idle rpm's (800 or so). My dad told me not to worry about and thinks I'm paranoid about my car.. lol

Still havn't gotten my timing belt changed.... pushing 115k miles now :eek: I know I'm horrible....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.