VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: Warning lights/ instrument panel problems - 96 Jetta GL|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warning lights/ instrument panel problems - 96 Jetta GL

Junior Member ilovemy81 is on a distinguished road ilovemy81's Avatar

Default Warning lights/ instrument panel problems - 96 Jetta GL

Hi, I'm new.

For a while now, the Airbag warning light on the dashboard of my 96 jetta gl has been on and off, sometimes flickering and stuff.

Recently it's gotten somewhat worse: The BRAKE light (that normally comes on when the parking brake is on) and the radiator overheating one (the red one that looks like an exploding thermometer) started flickering on and off. Also, a few times the speedometer has cut out (drops to zero, then back to 60 or whatever speed you're going). I would say that's never lasted more than 5 or 10 seconds, and maybe about 3 or 4 times so far.

The Airbag light tends to come on or off either by hitting a bumpy spot on the road or pushing the trip/total button on the odometer, and a lot of times a little tap on the dash will turn it back off.

The other ones seem to not be related to the airbag one. At the very least, all of these problems have never happened at once.

I suspected a loose wire of some kind, so I felt around under the dash until I found some wires that appeared to be going into the instrument cluster. I tightened them up, which seemed to help at the time, but a day later the same things happened again.

Any ideas? Would a loose wiring harness cause this kind of thing? If not, is the Airbag light related to all the other warning lights?

Thanks in advance.

It's a 1996 Jetta GL / 2.0 / 5sp with 160,000miles.

Not a VW fanboy 96JettaGLmk3 is on a distinguished road 96JettaGLmk3's Avatar

Default Re: Warning lights/ instrument panel problems - 96 Jetta GL

The panel has two plugs on the back, i just changed my panel two days ago, takes 10mins if your good, goto a junk yard and you can get one for 20-50$
    Follow my instagram @Mmattheeww

Not a VW fanboy 96JettaGLmk3 is on a distinguished road 96JettaGLmk3's Avatar

Default Re: Warning lights/ instrument panel problems - 96 Jetta GL

I could sell you my old cluster, its got 158xxx miles on it, pretty close to what you have.
    Follow my instagram @Mmattheeww

+ Reply to Thread