Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Oil for TDI

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  nmjetta 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 TDI Sport Wagon. The manual claims that oil must meet VW 507 000 specifications. The manual also claims that Castrol has a compatible product. Does anyone know what specific oil(s) meet that specification?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Uhh that would be Castrol Syntec. Not sure what weight your car uses but the manual should say.

#4 ·
Thank you MK4TDI, the prior answer was inaccurate as you point out ( I also think the tone was obnoxious)

From what I have gleened from other forum's: Castrol Edge 5W 30 and Mobil 1, ESP Formula 5W 30 meet the spec. Now I need to find local sources.

#5 · (Edited)
lol you can tell my tone over the internet?! Are you an FBI interrogator?? Thats one hell of a tallent.

But as for my ''inaccurate post'', I could honestly care less if you think I'm wrong or not, but unfortunately, its my mod'ly duty to inform you that Castrol Syn is Castrol syn (with weight differences), same **** at autozone as there is at the dealer. And not all dealers USE Castrol, some use Mobil1. But hey what do I know.... Its your car. You can put peanut oil in there for all I care :)

#7 ·
The writing in the yellow box says "specially formulated to meet the needs of BMW, Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen"
You can't buy this castrol syntec at the auto parts store.

There may be other oils that do meet 507 specs, I know that Elf makes one that meets spec. If u find one, it will say it directly on the back or front of the bottle.

Here, this will make it easy for you.

http://tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_120&products_id=1135

#8 ·
It may be a different bottle, but comparing blend numbers and specifications will confirm. I personally use Elf (Now called Total Quartz btw. Same oil, different name. Exact same blend),

#9 ·
I've switched to Mobil Delvac 1 at 5,000 mile change intervals. The latest VW oil spec was not listed on the non-VW dealer Castrol Syntec oil container nor is it listed on the Delvac 1 container but I'm going with it anyway. The PD engine definitely has some special requirements, but I chafe at having to buy the oil from the dealer.

Whatever you do, change the oil more often than the recommended intervals. My '06 TDI manual said to change the oil every 10,000 miles. Not good, even with synthetic.
M.

#10 ·
I've switched to Mobil Delvac 1 at 5,000 mile change intervals. The latest VW oil spec was not listed on the non-VW dealer Castrol Syntec oil container nor is it listed on the Delvac 1 container but I'm going with it anyway. The PD engine definitely has some special requirements, but I chafe at having to buy the oil from the dealer.

Whatever you do, change the oil more often than the recommended intervals. My '06 TDI manual said to change the oil every 10,000 miles. Not good, even with synthetic.
M.
Heh well materials and method of engine construction through VW haven't changed since they changed their oil standards... So whatever syn you were using before is fine. However, warentee won't cover it.

Infact, the turbocharged 2.0 and I believe the TDI (stupid name since new 2.0T's are technically ''TDI'') motors from the MKV are the same in the MKVI, which means even engine tolerances are identical.

What they've done is aquired a ''special'' synthetic of castrol that costs $16 per quart, claiming 10K mile intervels account for the added price of the oil for less oil changes, as well as superior lubrication properties.

I personally have yet to find differences between the ''old castrol'' and the ''new''.

#12 ·
Several mfrs make a synthetic that meets the VW507 spec. The dealer I bought from uses Chevron, and the local VW dealer use Castrol. I bought the oil from the local dealer to see what they used albeit $$ there. The car when new had a free check at 90 days, so I had them replace the oil at 2200 miles, then I changed it at 6000 miles, the free service is at 10K. I would not risk the warranty for a few $$. I have read the turbos like clean oil. My jetta is mainly a work commute, so it is mainly stop and go 50%... No big trips with it yet.

We also have a Rabbit, it uses the Castrol Syntek, but also has the appropriate VW rating on it for the temp range.

I like Castol, have not had an engine failure using it in the cars, trucks and motorcycles for ... about 40 years now...

#13 ·
My mechanic said that the vw oil will last 10k but the filter's crap out at 5k soo its up to you if you want to just change the filter sooner. I am thinking i'll try it out for a few change's and see how that goes. I'm not sure if anyone else has been told this by there mechanic's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.