VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Yellow Check Engine Light Blinking... 1st time |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow Check Engine Light Blinking... 1st time

Default Yellow Check Engine Light Blinking... 1st time

I did a search function of the forum but did not really find what I was looking for. Issue : Blinking yellow engine light and rough idle....

Have a 2002 Jetta GLS with 148K on the clock. Never had any major issues whatsoever. Had the catalytic converter replaced about 6months ago. No problems.

Filled up with a cheaper gas last thurs (Global) and car ran fine. Drove car friday and no problems. Car parked saturday and most of all today til 4pm. When I started it, engine timing seemed very rough and yellow blinking check engine light came on and would not go off. Only changes were the fuel i got, car sitting most of weekend, and alot of rain. I have read about the ECM..... But any ideas

First issue ever...

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Yellow Check Engine Light Blinking... 1st time

btw... read the other thread on the CEL and i did have the gas cap on tight...

Marine MonkUSMC is on a distinguished road MonkUSMC's Avatar

Blinking CEL=Misfire, there's a recall on the ignition coils from VW, I'd take it to the dealer, and if its the ignition coils (90% chance), they will replace all 4 for free.

thanks! but do you think vw would honor something such as this on a 7 year old car with 148,ooo miles

Quote Originally Posted by SCTJETTA62 View Post
    thanks! but do you think vw would honor something such as this on a 7 year old car with 148,ooo miles
    Yup, its for all MKIV 1.8T engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

Marine MonkUSMC is on a distinguished road MonkUSMC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCTJETTA62 View Post
    Yep, they did it for mine lol, mines an 2002 is 85k+ mi, think it was 82k 3 weeks ago lol.

We boostin'.They hatin'. amrrlz is on a distinguished road amrrlz's Avatar

Yep. just got a letter from VW, saying that they'll replace them whenever for free. You should be good.

thanks very much all!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    Yup, its for all MKIV 1.8T engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
    Yep, they did it for mine lol, mines an 2002 is 85k+ mi, think it was 82k 3 weeks ago lol.

thanks y'all but i have a MKIV 2.o engine...does it cover that?

Ah, then no.
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

bummer... so whatever the case may be, i am on my own?

well here is the update... brought the car in via flatbed (so as not to burn out the catalytic converter) and had it hooked up to the diagnostic computer. faulty ignition coil and wires. on a 2.0 engine, coil is not individual piece... all 4 cyclinders run to one module. bottom line: tow+repairs= $650.oobut atleast the car is back to mint running condition

?! Holy shit dude... Should've waited the 5 hours and let us walk you through diagnostics. A coil pack and wires would've cost you under $100 and you can do it yourself with simple tools.

And get yourself a AAA gold account... Free towing up to 100 miles per year.
    I will fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    ?! Holy shit dude... Should've waited the 5 hours and let us walk you through diagnostics. A coil pack and wires would've cost you under $100 and you can do it yourself with simple tools.

And get yourself a AAA gold account... Free towing up to 100 miles per year.

Major bummer... I did watch the guy... you are right in that it did not look too tricky but i had no idea. It took him just a little bit. But i did not know and did not think there was any chance of me doing it myself.

I have AAA but you are right... gold plan must be very diff!!! The tow was $100 so I went thru my insurance... AAA would only tow 3 miles for free and then $4 / mile thereafter and it had to go 20 miles... crazy!!! And sad thing is, that was my first call to AAA ever!!!

I think for the next problem (knock on wood no more) I will shoot ya a PM With 148K on the clock and have paid for a lot of things over time: both window regulators, cat, battery, front boots, brakes, now this ignition package.... gotta save some dough!

Thanks for your help though!

Wolfie Addicted♥ michy is on a distinguished road michy's Avatar

I'm having this exact problem with my 98 2.0... $650, yikes! Well at least I have an idea what it could be now, thanks!
    --- Michy
    1998 Jetta Wolfsburg... swiss cheese airbox, dropped suspension, exterior stylings... more substantial mods in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by michy View Post
    I'm having this exact problem with my 98 2.0... $650, yikes! Well at least I have an idea what it could be now, thanks!

good luck with the problem... from what some have said, i probably could have attempted it myself but what to do... i am a rollin' now
    ~~~2002 Jetta GLS 2.0~~~

+ Reply to Thread