Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1996 Jetta aba automatic starter install.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  98Jetta98 
#1 ·
Hello all.I'm posting this because I'm tired of my searches being contaminated with mkII, mkIV, VR6 and irrelevant results. I'm getting frustrated with this bottom starter bolt. Following a combination of Bentley, Haynes, and the little bit I could find on my car on the internet, I removed my old starter and attempted to install the replacement only to find the front engine mount bracket shifted by a hair. No amount of moving the jack will line this thing up, with no starter bolts in, the whole front end of the car travels upward. Not mentioned in anything I've seen, a 17 mm bolt is holding the transmission to the top of the mounting bracket. My question, will I have to remove this mount to get the starter installed? If so, could you please give me an idea of what to do here?

#2 ·
I just installed mine today after 2 days of trying to install a new one. I loosened, but did not remove, the engine mount bolt that goes in vertically into the frame at the front-center of the car, and the engine mount bolt that goes in horizontally from the left side in front of the starter motor. I began with the bottom starter motor bolt. Looking from underneath from the right side, I noticed that the engine mount bracket was a little higher than it was originally, i.e. there was no grime on the transmission casing below the bracket. I raised the engine so the bracket was in the original position. Then I could screw in the bolt and could observe it coming through the nut in the bracket. Then I put in the top starter motor bolt, then the horizontal engine mount bolt, and then I tightened the vertical engine mount bolt.

However, after connecting it, the engine would not turn over. The starter did engage and tried to turn the engine over, but it seems like the engine my be somewhat seized from sitting almost a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.