VW Jetta: New to Me '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel Sedan Issue|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Me '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel Sedan Issue

Default New to Me '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel Sedan Issue

Hi all,

I just purchased an 86 Jetta turbo diesel from my neighbor for $800. He rebuilt the engine top to bottom, new injection pump, turbo, clutch, everything. The rings aren't even seated on the engine yet.

The car starts buts pours white smoke out of the exhaust until it's warm. Smells like unburnt diesel. In my experience with old OM617 Benz diesels this is either an injection pump timing issue or the injectors themselves. He replaced the injector nozzles however, did not have them pop tested or balanced.

Assuming he timed the pump correctly, I should be looking at injectors correct?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Curt

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New to Me '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel Sedan Issue

hey curt, this is an old post but I"ll post anyway since hardly anyone replies on this forum.

I would check the injectors first, do a pop test (it's under 200 for the tester off ebay), and then go from there. look at the timing next

+ Reply to Thread