VW Jetta: 92 jetta diesel non-turbo Fuel problems|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 92 jetta diesel non-turbo Fuel problems

Junior Member eryx is on a distinguished road eryx's Avatar

Default 92 jetta diesel non-turbo Fuel problems

I have a 1992 Diesel Jetta non turbo that was leaking fuel. When I brought it to the mechanic they told me it had to do with the fuel injection pump. It was going to cost over $1000 for them to repair it so I thought I would do it myself.

I bought a used Fuel injector pump online and all the tools I needed to set the timing, I bought the gaskets I needed and a new timing belt. The Change over went well though it was pretty complicated.

The problem is I don’t seem to be getting fuel to the injector pump. I checked fuses and relays and they looked good. Went to buy a new fuel pump but they don't make them for my model of Jetta, Now I am stuck. So my questions are

Where is the thing that pumps the fuel?
    Do I have to prime the fuel lines and if I do how do I do that?
    What other things would cause fuel to not get to the injector pump?
    Is there a way I can test the used injector pump I bought?

I did some searching online but could not find a simple explanation of how the fuel system worked so I could trouble shoot. Help would be appreciated. Thanks for viewing my post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member eryx is on a distinguished road eryx's Avatar

Angry Re: 92 jetta diesel non-turbo Fuel problems

Hello everyone who looked at this post. I was able to get the little guy going and I leaned a lot about a 1.6L NA (naturally aspirated) Diesel. I was also able to answer my some of my own questions so though I would post it here.

Where is the thing that pumps the fuel?
    The Fuel injector pump pumps the fuel all the way from the tank, the sending unit is in the tank, it does not pump anything just shows fuel level, the things between the the fuel filter and the sending unit is the water fuel separator. This is also not the pump.

Do I have to prime the fuel lines and if I do how do I do that?
    Yes you do have to prime the fuel lines but also prime the injector pump. This was the whole reason my car would not go.

What other things would cause fuel to not get to the injector pump?
    There are a ton of things that could cause this. That is why I traced the whole fuel system make sure there were no leaks. Also FYI if you are going to blow out the lines make sure you don't blow the sending line back from the fuel filter to the tank. There is a check valve which no one seems to have ever mentioned.

Is there a way I can test the used injector pump I bought?
    I did not answer this one but I do know that it works because I was able to get the car running.

I want to say that the experience that I have had on jetta junkies was CRAP. There were over 100 people who looked at my post and no one would take the 5 minutes to explain to me something very simple. I am someone new to the forum looking for help. Maybe some of my questions were a bit naive but that is because I am a beginner at this.

This leads me to believe one of two things, either most of the traffic on this site is generated by
    referral spam and the number of views are inflated. The other possibility is that the users on the forum are to pampas and don't want to help out someone new or that they are really stupid and don't know how anything.

I mean seriously how long would it take to say:

"make sure you prime your fuel injector pump, it is the main pump for your fuel system, here is a link to a video to help."

So yea not going to be back any time soon!

+ Reply to Thread