Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1.8t ENGINE SLUDGE PROBLEMS-HELP

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  josiah 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this. I think I'm gunna be getting a 2003 Jetta GL 1.8t tomorrow. Ive been doing some research online and it seems like a lot of people are complaining about their motors "blowing up" all of a sudden and the dealerships are saying its due to engine sludge. I'm wondering if this is really a common problem and if so what are some ways to ensure this doesn't happen. Like how often should the oil be changed, what brands work best, synthetic or regular, and can you put sludge reducing additives in the oil without damaging the motor? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

#2 ·
Im new to the game as well. Im under the impression that you should use synthetic oil and do regular oil changes at 5000km/3000miles.

I use Lubromoly 5w-40 Synthetic. As long as you keep to a good brand religiously, you should be fine.

Maybe others have better input.

#3 ·
Sludge isn't a problem with the 1.8T, you shouldn't worry. There was a sludge problem with older passats, but nothing to worry about with the car you're looking at.

However as the previous guy stated, synthetic is highly recommended for any force inducted system.

#5 ·
I haven't heard of anyone's blowing up. VW recommends full synthetic i use mobile 1. as far as how often probably anywhere for 3-5k miles depending driving style.

#7 ·
Well sludge is formed when water or water vapors mix with oil. This mainly happens due to taking short trips often. The heating and cooling of the engine produces water vapor, especially when the engine doesn't have a chance to heat up all the way and burn it off. Keeping short trips to a minimum and letting your car warm up in the winter before you drive will help keep the sludge away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.