Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

The unplanned mk4 build

8K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  kevinmkIIIgti 
#1 ·
So I got my car Oct 2015. I had never planned on doing a build with it, was originally going to just be a fun car to mess with. Well me being the person I am who can't own something without modifying the snot out of it, I have finally decided to make a build thread on it. In the few months I have had it the engine has been pulled 3 times for various reasons, some my fault, some not.

I got the car in a trade from an old neighbor. He told me the timing belt blew while he was driving it so I knew going it the valves would be bent.

#30 ·
Got the head back and a bunch of goodies to finish putting it back together

Got cast aluminum goodies to replace the plastic crap

Got the new fans wired up and to a connector

And the new intercooler mounted, need to make it a bit lower to fit more in the bumper opening. After that just need to put motor in and redo the charge piping, maybe relocate the battery not sure about that yet.

#31 ·

Got a new fuse box that went on top of the battery because the old one was starting to melt around the alternator wire. Used some plastic weld to make a mount for inside the fender. Once everything is hooked up I'm going to spray all the connection with that spray electrical tape to keep it safe from the elements.

Wires almost all wrapped up.

#33 ·
Well that's because you are doing it the correct way lol. I'm in "get it running before snow" phase right now. I have big plans for when I have an actual garage. I did get it running over the weekend. Ordered a new cam position sensor due to codes and a bogged low end. With all the wires I cut and moved and all the other things I did I am actually surprised I got it to run again.

I did get the wheels to tuck a bit more without the fender supports so that is a little plus.

#34 ·
While waiting for new cam position sensor to come in I decided I didn't like the way my trunk was setup anymore. So I ripped it all out and started again. I had a power issue with the old wire for the compressors as well so I wanted to fix that as well.

Mounted the tank to the underside of the rear deck and moved the battery to the spare tire well.

Cut up an old steel shelf I had laying around and made a mount for the compressors.

Got a relay and a fuse block to correctly power the compressors.

Need to make another floor and finish a couple things tmrw but it should be good after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.