Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2006 Jetta 2.5 --- Car died while driving and then had dead battery

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Skimmer0220 
#1 ·
Hi,

Any help would be nice!

Yesterday - about 2 blocks from home and the AC fan turns off. Didn't think much into it because car was running fine and was home 20 seconds later.

Today - car started fine, got on the freeway, drove about 5 minutes and then radio turns off. I check the dashboard it is dim, all warning lights are on and steering was difficult. Luckily had enough juice to exit freeway and park. I tried to start car again, turned on but then died few seconds later, then wouldn't restart.... I connected a battery to my battery for a little bit of juice, and it started. Took the extra battery off and few seconds later car starts puttering. I press down on the gas and rev'd up then RPM dropped... i held down gas and then the throttle would rev up then drop then rev up then drop. then few seconds later it died out.

My thoughts - Reading many blogs it sounds like maybe could be some kind of speed sensor thing or could be my fuel pump. I have no idea about the speed sensor thing but with regard to fuel pump I have let my gas tank get really low recently and have no idea last time it was replaced (at least 80,000 miles). Could be it... but more insight or advice would be cool.

See less See more
#3 ·
This just happened to one of our drivers, she was late, but was able to make it a block away to meet me,
her car died, everything went out. She had no idea, till I opened the hood to see the serpentine belt was
shredded, and some of it stuck/burned on to the alternator pulley. She didn't bother to open the hood and
look, just was dumbfounded as to what was going on.

People, open your hoods and LOOK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.