VW Jetta: Thinking about doing a DIY, any advice?|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about doing a DIY, any advice?

Default Thinking about doing a DIY, any advice?

The coolant temp sensor housing on my Mkv Gli has a hairline crack in it. Anything I should be prepared for? I've seen a few threads on and about the sensor itself, but not the housing. It looks pretty straight forward, though the location is not my favorite. 😬

You can barley see fluid seeping. I can't think of how that could've happened.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member PowerslavePA is on a distinguished road PowerslavePA's Avatar

Default Re: Thinking about doing a DIY, any advice?

It happens because they're not METAL sensors. They all went with cheap ass
    plastic that can't handle the stress, thus it cracks, and leaks. Same with the
    oil pressure sensors, I have replaced enough of those in Chrysler products.

It has to be replaced, and that's that... It will get worse and worse as the coolant
    continues to erode the plastic as it passes through the crack. The hot and cold
    will also expand and contract the plastic, lengthening the crack. Replace it...

Default Re: Thinking about doing a DIY, any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerslavePA View Post
    It happens because they're not METAL sensors. They all went with cheap ass
    plastic that can't handle the stress, thus it cracks, and leaks. Same with the
    oil pressure sensors, I have replaced enough of those in Chrysler products.

It has to be replaced, and that's that... It will get worse and worse as the coolant
    continues to erode the plastic as it passes through the crack. The hot and cold
    will also expand and contract the plastic, lengthening the crack. Replace it...
    Thanks. There's no question about replacing it, that is going to happen. I only drive the car around 50 miles a week, the part has been ordered. I had asked about it in one of the local auto parts stores. They want like $85! I'll just wait for it to be delivered. Haha

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

+ Reply to Thread