VW Jetta: MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed

Default MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed

I am going to replace the struts on my wife's 2003 MKIV Jetta VR6 (original owner)
    154,xxx miles, auto trans

I did read "Boosts" thread on "Basics of Suspension Upgrading", thanks for that info.

I am not looking to lower or change the stance of the car at all, just time to do some maintenance and can't afford the $1100 price tag the local shop quoted me.
    I am leaning toward the Bilstein B6 Performance strut (open to other recommendations) and re-using the stock springs.

Looking for advice from someone who has done the job. I am mechanically inclined and have a good selection of tools, figured I could rent a spring compressor and what ever else I might need.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram I have some questions on what I should/should not replace while doing the installation.

3 357-413-175-A Boot, Probably not
    4 1J0-412-303 Bumper,
    5 1J0-412-341 Spring Seat, Probably not
    6 1J0-412-249 Bearing,
    7 1H0-412-365-A Bushing,
    8 1J0-412-331-C Strut Mount,
    9 1H0-412-365-A Strut Mount Bushing,
    10 1J0-412-319-C Stop,
    11 N-903-536-04 Top Nut,

Thanks in advance for any tips, recommendations, advice, info on tools needed, etc....
    Much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KiDGiB is on a distinguished road KiDGiB's Avatar

Default Re: MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed

The top strut mount nut requires a special tool to remove it, but what I did was zip it off with an impact gun. I did the same when reinstalling, but did it on the lowest setting and didn't torque the crap out of it.

It's best to replace the strut mounts and bearings. You could check if the rest need to be replaced, but the most common is the mounts and bearings. You should also check for play in the ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushing, etc... It would be good to get it all done in one shot, since you'll be working in that area.

Just throwing this out there as another option, but here are the Bilstein TC.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...pension/472/10

And a discussion on the difference between the HD and TC.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3657064

Default Re: MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed

Thanks for the reply and the info KiDGiB, once again you come through for me!

I did check out both of the links you provided (thanks again!) and they were very helpful.....until I got sucked into the rabbit hole with all the graphs and technical talk that was beyond my comprehension.
    What I did take away from the technical mumbo jumbo was that the Bilstein TC struts were a much harsher ride than the Koni struts. Do you have any feedback on that?

Another question for the group. How do I know if my wife's VR6 GLX has the factory "Performance" springs? It seems like this information is necessary when ordering the correct struts.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Glx's didn't have sport springs, they had he same springs on the gls vr6's he only car with sport springs was the gli's you may want to look at a hole cup kit, it'll have the springs and struts to match each other, springs can sag over time and if your in there you might as well replace it

The issues you may run into is getting the strut out of the wheel hub, you may need a strut spreader, you can use a flat blade screwdriver or if you have a flat blade but you can wedge it in there, when I reinstall I wedge my strut spreader in there and spray both surfaces down with wd-40 and it should slide right in
    The other issue is loosening the nut up top, kidgib was right you can use an impact to zip it off, I have he specialty wrench and I still zip my nut on and off with an impact because well I forget I have the dang tool
    Lastly the issue you will run into is once the strut assembly is removed you won't have enough room to get it out, the spring will have to be compressed to be removed unless you remove either the ball joint, tie rod, brake caliper from the hole wheel hun assembly

Sent from my intergalactic portal device
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Cool, thanks for the info!

Hey Skimmer or KiDGiB,
    Any recommendations on where to buy the struts with springs? I don't see them listed at German Auto Parts.

I have watched a few Youtube videos and have confidence I can tackle this job. One tip I picked up, that you guys probably know but maybe someone reading this might appreciate, is that a 13/16 Sparkplug socket along with an allen wrench can be used on that top nut.

Thanks again!

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Sounds like it should work, you can also look at ECS tuning

Sent from my intergalactic portal device
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Wow.... I could spend a lot of $$$$ at ECS, they have a lot of cool stuff!
    Thanks for the tip!

Just to add to the list. Urotuning is one I have been frequenting lately.

https://www.urotuning.com/Suspension-s/504.htm

If you want OEM, you can also check Rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/v...677,suspension

Senior Member PowerslavePA is on a distinguished road PowerslavePA's Avatar

Default MKIV Replacing struts, Strut mount bushing, bearing, etc......advice needed

If you buy an "Easy Strut" is has everything already on it, spring, bearing cap,
    all that stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-Fr...-/151905234683
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4pc-Comp...-/151986750838

I did not see if they had MKIV, but they start at MK6.

I still have a set for my MK6, my former TDI, but they'll fit my 2015 TSI. I paid $189 for the pair.
    Last edited by Skimmer0220; 03-18-2017 at 07:46 AM.

I went ahead and ordered this kit from ECS Tuning:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...j0413031agkt2/

Today I pulled off the front wheels to take a look and noticed that the original strut boot (cover) is trashed. It doesnt look like the Bilstein TC's come with a new boot and I searched all the sites listed in this thread to no avail.
    I did find these made by KYB, but Im not sure if they will fit.
    https://www.carid.com/kyb/strut-bellows.html

Any suggestions on where to pick up the boots (bellows) ?

Senior Member PowerslavePA is on a distinguished road PowerslavePA's Avatar

That kit doesn't come with springs, so if yours are weak or bad, you'll
    be reusing them. That's why I buy the Easy Strut... Spring and all is
    new... Hope it works out for ya.

Check eBay for the bellows, if you're not sure.

Thanks for the suggestion PowerSlavePA, the reason I didn't go that route was because they didn't offer it (on ebay) for the Mark IV, I could have called them to verify but I didn't. Also, I like to buy name brand stuff and they don't mention the brand name, only that they are ISO 9000 certified so it left a lot of questions in my mind. Also, being the original owners of the car I am pretty sure that the springs are still in good shape. The car was never off road, auto crossed, raced, etc....

KiDGiB, Thanks again for the link. I don't know how I missed it. I did check that site but overlooked it.

You guys rock!

Thanks Again!

+ Reply to Thread