VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: 97 2.0 problems|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 97 2.0 problems

Default 97 2.0 problems

well i will start off with what my car is ...its a 1997 jetta 2.0 5 speed with 237000miles....it ran and drove i got home from work one night and everything was fine the next day i go to leave and it wouldnt start...come to find out the fuel pump wasnt coming on so i bought a new relay and still nothing..so i tested the pump the pump is good...i checked the timing and its dead on...but the messed up part is when im cranking the car over when i let off the key the fuel pump will come on...does anyone know what could be the issue...let me know i really need to get this going asap.

Default Re: 97 2.0 problems

hey man idk ur exact situation but some cars fuel pump only run when the key is turned to the start position it's really a wierd set up and like i said idk if this car is like this or not but u may have to have some one listen to the tank to hear the pump while u r starting the car then c what u get if all good then check the fuel pressure or other things let me know .

yeah it is supposed to be like you are saying but it doesnt come on until after i let off the key...i figured that out because when i first bought the car about a month ago i had to put a fuel pump in it.which costed an arm and a leg.it has spark and i guess it gets fuel because when i let off the key the fuel pump comes on and fires but it bangs out the exhaust...would low compression cause this...well it did jump time so i bought a new belt and i know i have the timing dead on...do you think maybe the head got fucked up..

Rub A VDub GTSPEED is on a distinguished road GTSPEED's Avatar

Are your battery connections all gunked up? I was having starting problems, and my mechanic suggested that I pull them off and go over then with some steel wool. Fixed everything. Seemed the car just wasn't getting enough power to start up. It would whine, and kick, but just wouldn't start. Just my $.02

Old School darksidedub is on a distinguished road darksidedub's Avatar

check your coil.

Rub A VDub GTSPEED is on a distinguished road GTSPEED's Avatar

^^ x2

alright i got it running and everything was good and then it started skipping really bad running on maybe 2 cylindars...i put brand new plugs wires distributor cap and rotor...i put a new coil on it and its still skipping...its getting awesome spark to the plugs ...know what could be the problem...i took it to my cousin who is a mechanic at a volkswagen dealer and he said its all in time right and everything he said hes not sure what it could be other than bad pistons..just wondering what everyone else thought

Senior Member Green '95 is on a distinguished road Green '95's Avatar

Pull the fuel rail out of the intake and crank it. Make sure all your sticks are spraying fuel. If the pump went bad it may have shavings in the lines plugging the injectors.

+ Reply to Thread