Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Gambling advice

887 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JerryLtowIt 
#1 ·
So, A few months ago I bought a 02, 2.0lt, automatic, and I love her. No real issues at all. Only 100,000kms on it. However, I've never liked automatics, and I've heard the AT on these cars are notoriously faulty.

I stumbled across the exact same car for sale, and the lady wants to get rid of it because she doesn't like standard. I proposed a trade, and she's pretty interested. The trouble, her's has 65,000 more kms on it, burns a bit of oil, and she can't afford to add any cash to the trade.

Would it be worth the trade down, just to ditch the questionable automatic?

Let's hear some opinions!

#2 ·
That's definitely a huge gamble. This will come down to how bad you really want a standard transmission, the condition of your 01M transmission and if it has signs of going out, and if the other owner has maintained their vehicle or have abused it vs yours.

You might end up spending more money repairing and maintaining the new vehicle than the one you own now.

I would ask maintenance receipts and find out when they got their timing belt done, clutch, waterpump, tune up, oil changes, etc... and go from there.

Another option would be to bring both or just hers to a shop and have a complete vehicle inspection done.

#3 ·
^If she is an older lady, I would probably do the trade, although it's not an equal one. I would do lots of research and find out all you can. And as stated above, have somebody you trust go through the car completely. She's got to have something she can throw in ta boot... How much do you feel like you'd be losing?

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.