VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: An introduction to the group and hopefully not just blood in the water. |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An introduction to the group and hopefully not just blood in the water.

Fixing a hole in the Ocea HeavyRock is on a distinguished road HeavyRock's Avatar

Default An introduction to the group and hopefully not just blood in the water.

Greetings to all!

I am a new member. First post. That's all the new from here on out. I've been a gearhead all my life, and have finally embraced European makes, as Detroit has... Well it's played. I am retired, and I am not a Boomer, no offense, but generation X is next, and I am the new AARP. I do apologise, I digress.

I currently own a 2001 Jetta with the 8V 2.0L I4 & sibling 5 speed. I have read the welcome newbies sticky posts, I understand the annoyance of blatantly obvious repetitive topics because 20 years ago I was on Supras.com when it was just a hyperlink page and you could get your messages in large dumps. Spent a lot of time on there, strength in numbers helped us get things. Things you couldn't get either anymore (mainly HKS & Greedy), or just not enough demand, which we would make, like a $55 group buy on A-pillar dual gauge pods. Euro lighting etc.

In 2002 the head backed off my engine and I sold the car and decided modern cars of the time were too complicated to work on, so I went back into rodding, only this time I took every unusual twist on purpose thanks to the information era. I started turbocharging Rover 4.6 aluminum V8's and installing them into 1961 Pontiac Tempests. The turbochargers were Oldsmobile\ Air Research and enameled red, still making repair parts to this day. The Rover motor was for the displacement, as I had done several Buick 300 stroke engines with the aluminum 215 blocks. But the European bug had gotten me, having never seen a Morgan +8 before or an MGB, but being able to buy these motors and bolt a flywheel and adapter from D&D to a T-5 and drop this into an F body Firebird or transverse into an 88 Fiero was my religion.

Then, by sheer luck and opportunity, more than a year ago this Jetta dropped into my lap. With problems - so it was cheap. With an undercoating and here, that's more than you can ask. The biggest problem was the exhaust. It had completely fallen apart on dude and that made him park it, dudes landlord said "move it or lose it" - hence opportunity. Got a shocking quote from Midas, took it to a guy I know who's living is exhaust and brakes, 1/10th the price he welded and cut and ground everything, even torched the old studs.

Post repair, I could breathe in it while driving. 40 minutes later I fell in love with the car. It still has its faults but I am no longer in hardware mode. I understand everything about my car and I have it fixed. It needs the rear brakes freshened, rotors are warped, there is a sway bar issue with a one sided rear clunk on hard dips and potholes. Thusly, I have dedicated my efforts to repairing the interior. The soot accumulated inside the beige fabric, and there was a child unhinged in the backseat, no radio, and minor front end damage.

I pulled the carpet and took it to the laundromat, it worked like a charm. The door panels will come in due time. I have a lot of time. But I do have some questions:

When replacing body panels with carbon fiber, are they supposed to be raw finished I.e. no paint?

I replaced my lamp switch with an euro model. Will this power the FRONT foglamps from the switch?

In a 2001 Jetta, without a Monsoon stereo, will this "canbus adapter" provided by the radio manufacturer who also provides 2 plug and play no solder/crimp/tape/judgement all inclusive wiring harnesses actually generate voltage variances based on digital data transmission through the B+ wiring because we actually DON'T have switched power to the radio? What else can I do with this beautiful enigma? I have seen many new tire air pressure warning systems compatible with Android that simply replace the whole valve stem ($20 a wheel but at least you're getting a balance and no one can steal your sensor)

↑sorry about the length, it was necessary↑

In a 2001 Jetta, what do you need besides the radio switches, their steering wheel and it's airbag to make that a happening thing? I assume a wiring harness, but where, & to what? Would it be easier to just make my own harness from the connector from the cadaver? Is there a special box on the firewall, does VW wire cars like Old Chrysler, one harness for all with the connector taped up in the harness?

↑sorry for..... Whatever. It was a long question. Now I need some answers please↑

As for me, I do wonder what could be done with this 2.0. I understand the feasibility of a 1.8t swap is an ill thought approach to buying another car. But I see these kits for boosting a 2.0 and honestly since it's all about torque (to me, some prefer to drive a pneumatic impact wrench) I'd supercharge it but no one seems to carry that. But still, I took inline 6 motors from the 1920's drawing boards making 55 horsepower and built replacements making 200 horsepower. I'm not bragging, I'm just making a focal point about what happens to design and rodders intuition as time goes by. For instance, has anyone thought of a retro-engineered spark plug/DPI injector? I have to believe since the coil pack was the final solution, then plug wires got eliminated with coil packs atop plugs means there has to be a way to make up that extra torque. Fresh out the barn you got 0.2L more to work with. Bigger valves? Headers? Volkswagen/Audi sleep together. Sometimes they must have to borrow the others toothbrush.

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Default Re: An introduction to the group and hopefully not just blood in the water.

holy long post! lots of questions to answer here so let's begin

Carbon Fiber Body Panels:
    Are you planning gutting body panels and making them out of carbon fiber?

For the euro switch do you have headlights with the fogs? or did you add the lower fog lamps?

As far as the radio question really have no clue what the real question is, do you want to replace the radio? Are you just looking to get steering wheel controls?

As far as the 2.0 motor, what's your budget? are you in love with the 2.0 motor? it's called a 2Slow for a reason because right off the bat the 1.8T motors are much much more capable than the 2.0's it's not a matter of just boosting the 2.0 motor and bam you have a 1.8t slayer, it's still an 8V single overhead cam design the 1.8T is a 20V dual overhead cam, with all the porting and polishing and oversizing of valves in the world it's still not going to be as capable of a 1.8T, the most popular boosting kit for the 2.0 is a Neuspeed supercharger, there no longer in production and are hard to find but one of the best kits out there for the 2slow motor unless you make some crazy over the top turbo kit with forged internals because the stock internals are not going to be able to handle to much boost

as far as Audi and VW sharing the same technology your right, they share the same good motors, not the 2.0 commuter motors, the 1.8T is put in the A4's in the same generation the 2.8's are not only in the Audi's but there turbocharged as well so yes VW and Audi share the same technology/motors but they share the good ones
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Fixing a hole in the Ocea HeavyRock is on a distinguished road HeavyRock's Avatar

Default Re: An introduction to the group and hopefully not just blood in the water.

The questions are:

Does the car generate all the signals the canbus adapter reads and signals from wires in the wiring harness? It literally says there is no switched power, the car turns the radio on and the low washer fluid lamp and sound will be repeated by the head unit.

Can a steering wheel controls button setup be installed into a Jetta with its own harness, or is the harness part of the dash wiring harness, if so can I make my own harness or no choice but to swap wiring harnesses with steering wheels.

As for the 2.0, I feel like wasting my own money on my cars, you and I both know we won't get the money we pour into cars back. I know enough to know not to swap anything. It'd be easier to buy another Jetta with a 1.8t.

The carbon fiber panels are the hood and trunk. Pre-formed and gel coated. Whatever that means. I know what primered, sanded and ready to paint means. Last I heard gel coat was what they finished my boat with.

Supercharger not in production? Can you find more info? I have sources for my other cars that deal in difficult to find parts. I wasn't talking scheisse when I said I have used 50 year old Turbocharged engines with insane flexible drivelines to build hysterical cars. These dudes are car parts hoarders, who specialize in one year only parts, and make it a point to not just have one. I assume this would be belt driven and if I even decided to go this route it would need a re-mapped computer?

Thanks

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyRock View Post
    The questions are:

Does the car generate all the signals the canbus adapter reads and signals from wires in the wiring harness? It literally says there is no switched power, the car turns the radio on and the low washer fluid lamp and sound will be repeated by the head unit.
    Yes the canbus signal can read all the signals from the canbus connector, the washer fluid lamp is not controlled by the head unit, the signal is wired to the instrument panel, and if using vagcom can be found in the instrument panel module 17

Can a steering wheel controls button setup be installed into a Jetta with its own harness, or is the harness part of the dash wiring harness, if so can I make my own harness or no choice but to swap wiring harnesses with steering wheels.
    The steering wheel controls can be added or retrofitted, a custom harness will need to be made, the popular swap is the mk6 steering wheels are a direct swap into a mk4 but the wiring harness needs to be modified to work, but has been done

As for the 2.0, I feel like wasting my own money on my cars, you and I both know we won't get the money we pour into cars back. I know enough to know not to swap anything. It'd be easier to buy another Jetta with a 1.8t.
    I totally get it just giving the options out there

The carbon fiber panels are the hood and trunk. Pre-formed and gel coated. Whatever that means. I know what primered, sanded and ready to paint means. Last I heard gel coat was what they finished my boat with.
    typically carbon fiber panels come clear coated ready to install however with most aftermarket parts be aware fitment is not always guaranteed and may need a large amount of modifying to get them to fit correctly

Supercharger not in production? Can you find more info? I have sources for my other cars that deal in difficult to find parts. I wasn't talking scheisse when I said I have used 50 year old Turbocharged engines with insane flexible drivelines to build hysterical cars. These dudes are car parts hoarders, who specialize in one year only parts, and make it a point to not just have one. I assume this would be belt driven and if I even decided to go this route it would need a re-mapped computer?

Thanks
    looks like this is the only place still selling it:
    https://autoplicity.com/91316-neuspe...vpQaAv2g8P8HAQ

However they can be found for cheaper prices used, but when they do come up for sale there not cheap and they go quick

Skimmer

Thanks for the info especially the supercharger link. I won't be replacing my snowmobile this Autumn, but I will buy that supercharger. I have found a few small nickel & dime horsepower add-ons like underdrive pulleys and cold air intakes. A lot of BS for 10 horsepower.

I have a Volvo 940turbo with the 2.3 Turbo and bought a turbo camshaft (single OHV) for it to move the power range, is there something similar out there for the Jetta 2.0? IPD sold the camshaft and FCP doesn't seem to have much other than suspension equipment.

The steering wheel swap, to make the harness, just wire and both ends use VW plugs? Or is it like the fog lamp switch changeover where you add VW spade connections to the existing radio harness(s)? I have a new set of headlamps with the fogs, and some cheap pair dthat replace the smaller grille panels under the front bumper.

The carbon fiber panels I am buying are for looks, so I want to paint them. There's a kid in my neighborhood I see driving a maroon BMW who hasn't painted his carbon fiber hood, I'm assuming since it's an exact replacment if he paints it no one will know he has a carbon fiber hood, mine has quite a different look. The trunk has a golf ball size hole from rust and I'm deliberating whether to just let the shop patch it. I found carbon trunk and figured, no rust? Sweet. I'm sure there's a catch though.

As far as cam's go check this link here:
    http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...4_101_1009_102

Yea it's a bit intensive of a swap just for steering wheel controls, but I believe you need a head unit that is compatible with steering wheel controls

As far as carbon fiber panels what's the point in buying it if you're just going to paint it? go with OEM body panels that you know will fit, and you could most likely get the same color so no painting needed

I have the head unit which is compatible with steering controls. Chilton's repair manual didn't have major details on the wiring diagrams.
    I don't know how much easier to write my question other than this: what do I need to make the steering wheel controls harness?

This is as simple as I can make the carbon fiber hood issue: I am buying a hood with different styling than an OEM hood made of carbon fiber guaranteed to fit finished in a gel coat. Can I simply sand and paint? Because I don't know what a gel coat's characteristics are and so therefore I don't know if the paint will react to the gel coat. Thus requiring a heavier sanding and prep for reshoot.

Thanks.

Okay, this techtonics shop has my attention. Thanks for the leads on the motor, I didn't plan to mod this Jetta to that level, but I've never been conventional, so when I see a $3500 supercharger and a cam, plus a ported & polished head for under $2000, with internals to boot I get excited like I used to when I saw a junkyard L69 tuned runner 5.7 small block Chevy for my Camaro 20 years ago.

Money isn't the problem, downtime is. I'll have from now to almost November to buy and store the parts.

I just need to understand how to enable my car to have the steering wheel controls functional before I install a new aftermarket head unit which claims to use the canbus adapter to enable steering wheel controls over the volume and tuner, AND, in a perfect world where it is understood that I am installing a carbon fiber hood and possibly trunk before taking the car to the paint shop for 2 small rust repairs and painting the whole car Alaska Green again, is a carbon fiber hood supposed to remain unpainted? Is it like fiberglass, where you'll need glazing putty or something similar to fill the tiny air bubble holes you can't avoid sometimes with fiberglass Matt and resin? Or no?

Thanks

Okay, this techtonics shop has my attention. Thanks for the leads on the motor, I didn't plan to mod this Jetta to that level, but I've never been conventional, so when I see a $3500 supercharger and a cam, plus a ported & polished head for under $2000, with internals to boot I get excited like I used to when I saw a junkyard L69 tuned runner 5.7 small block Chevy for my Camaro 20 years ago.

Money isn't the problem, downtime is. I'll have from now to almost November to buy and store the parts.

I just need to understand how to enable my car to have the steering wheel controls functional before I install a new aftermarket head unit which claims to use the canbus adapter to enable steering wheel controls over the volume and tuner, AND, in a perfect world where it is understood that I am installing a carbon fiber hood and possibly trunk before taking the car to the paint shop for 2 small rust repairs and painting the whole car Alaska Green again, is a carbon fiber hood supposed to remain unpainted? Is it like fiberglass, where you'll need glazing putty or something similar to fill the tiny air bubble holes you can't avoid sometimes with fiberglass Matt and resin? Or no?

Thanks
    the Chilton's manual is good for one thing, starting a fire to read through the Bentley manual, the Bentley manual will have all the wiring diagrams you will need to find the steering wheel controls, no mk4 came stock with steering wheel controls except for cruise control, I haven't heard of a way to tap into the wiring to have the CANbus control the radio through the steering wheel, you'll need a custom built harness to control it

As far as the gel coat and painting a lot of the gel coats are different and a lot of manufacturers use different gel coats, I haven't run into an issue ever before painting carbon fiber panels but this is something a good body shop and the manufacturer of the pieces will need to inform you on, I could say no you don't need to do any extra work and have you run into an issue because for some godforsaken reason the manufacturer used some oddball gel coat

Thanks man. You've been helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B787EC83-CE12-4003-8935-64C1D0228366-648-000000F7F89CD09F.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	33041

Thanks man. You've been helpful.
    that's why were here

+ Reply to Thread