VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Massive Coolant Leak!!! |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Massive Coolant Leak!!!

Junior Member sdfinley is on a distinguished road sdfinley's Avatar

Default Massive Coolant Leak!!!

Hi all, first post here. I have a 2002 Jetta 2.0 5 speed wagon. I bought it used 3 years ago and supposedly it had a new water pump and timing belt installed a few months before I bought it. Yesterday when I drove to work (approx 11 miles) as soon as I pulled in a parking spot my low coolant light started to flash. Popped the hood and the reservoir was almost empty. I got it home last night, had to fill up the reservoir to make it. I have it jacked up in the driveway and it appears to be leaking from the bottom belt pulley on the passenger side of the car. I took the TB cover off and the belt is dry. The leaking is pretty heavy when I remove the reservoir cap. When I start the engine it doesn't leak at all when idling or when parked.I have done quite a bit of searching but cannot find a definite answer on this. Could it be the WP cover? Is there a way to remove the pulley to get a better look? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and have a buddy that can help me out. I have attached a photo, please excuse my paintbrush skills. The red arrow is pointing to a water droplet. Thanks all!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vw coolant leak1.jpg‎
Views:	23
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	33057  

Junior Member sdfinley is on a distinguished road sdfinley's Avatar

Default Re: Massive Coolant Leak!!!

UPDATE!!! The leak appears to be coming from the back of the pulley. If I remove the reservoir cap and the leak starts up I can get under the car and put my finger on the backside of the pulley and water runs down my hand. I have the TB cover off and and the bottom front debris cover and the side engine plastic cover off also. I cannot see just where its coming from without removing a bunch of stuff.

Sounds like a water pump if its coming from behind the timing cover. ECS sells the belt kit for like $140. And it only takes a couple hours to do it yourself if you're handy. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then a shop could do it ranging anywhere from $800-$1100 depending on labor rates

my best pick, water pump. i have a mk4 tdi, its pump runs on the timing belt, figure this one as well. leak location, check pump for leaks. Must add, had a 1.8 mk2 jetta few years back, found water close to the bottom of the engine, in this case my head gasket was leaking, when i opened up to replace, there was a lot of rust. Luckily no major damages. If this was me, ill check the pump first.

+ Reply to Thread