VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Finding a Vacuum Leak... |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding a Vacuum Leak...

LIFETIME VIP ajsnow6234 is on a distinguished road ajsnow6234's Avatar

Default Finding a Vacuum Leak...

So I'm quite certain that I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I am getting a "running to lean" code as well as the occasional misfire on cylinder "x" code. Back when I was having non-stop misfire codes I replaced the plugs and coil packs. I also hear a leaking/hissing sound under the hood.

I read a bit on vortex about how to find a leak. I personally am using a water bottle with really soapy water. Spraying it on all the hoses while it's running, looking for bubbles. Problem is, I can't see any bubbles and I can't pinpoint where the leak sound is coming from! I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience finding a leak and what methods you used. Any help would be awesome!

Default Re: Finding a Vacuum Leak...

The soapy water method blows... Get a propane torch, and turn the gas on but not the flame. With the engine idling, trace (closely) your vacuum lines. The propane will be sucked in through the vac leak and cause the engine to climb RPM's, so you'll hear it when you find it.

Carb cleaner works too, but its messy, and propane is less volitile (and also a fossil fuel, like gasoline).

Oh, and hows your idle? If its sloppy, unhook the MAF sensor. If it runs better at idle, that confirms a vac leak. The hissing you hear could also be an exhaust leak too...
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

That's right, now I remember the propane torch method...I'll have to try that.

I didn't even think about it being an exhaust leak, I hope not!

Nothing a MIG welder can't fix up quick. hopefully lol.
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

Does brake cleaner spray work the same as propane would? Or would it be best to just use propane? I'll need to go out and buy a propane tank and nozzle if so.

Propane, for sure. Brake parts cleaner can destroy rubbers and plastics. You don't wanna be getting that shit on your vacuum lines and such.
    I will fight you.

Cowboy BigJ389 is on a distinguished road BigJ389's Avatar

how would you go about checking for exhaust leak?? can I just replace the entire piping and be done with it? haha
    2006 Jetta 2.5l (daily) 1987 Golf 1.8 8v (project)
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBohan View Post
    And neon lights? Remember how badass you thought you were with those light up sketchers. But then you realized you were just emphasizing and highlighting the fact that you were wearing shin high socks, ugly ass power ranger shorts, a snotty tshirt and casio wrist watch? Yeah thats what your mitsubishi eclipse looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ389 View Post
    how would you go about checking for exhaust leak?? can I just replace the entire piping and be done with it? haha
    You know that if you did it'd turn out to be a cracked exhaust manifold or manifold gasket lol.

Smoke is good for looking for exhaust leaks... Even looking for them upon a cold start should be easier than on a hot one.
    I will fight you.

thanks for the info Boost, I'm going to get this leak tracked down. My car has been on the back burner for a couple weeks. I've been getting my motorcycle ready for this season and back in shape. I'm also heading to Haiti for a week so I'll be out for a bit. I'll update this thread when I figure it all out. Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread