VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Windshield wipers stopped working. The motor makes a sound but the wipers won't turn |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windshield wipers stopped working. The motor makes a sound but the wipers won't turn

Default Windshield wipers stopped working. The motor makes a sound but the wipers won't turn

Hey guys,

The other day I went out to my car and there was snow on the windshield. I was in a little bit of a hurry, so I tried to just push it off with the windshield wipers. There wasn't too much snow, like I didn't think there was enough to break my wipers. I've pushed more snow than that off with them before.

Anyway, now my wipers don't work. When I turn them on there is a noise like the motor is spinning, but the wipers won't move. I can only move them on my own when the motor is on. If the motor is off I can't move them even by hand. Anyway, I think that it must be the gears or something inside of them that broke. The thing is that neither of them work, they both broke at the same time.

Have any of you had any problems like this before? It seems like it should be a fairly easy fix. The thing is, I was looking at it and it looks like there is a long black plastic cover that you need to remove before you can get to the motor or gears to the wipers. How do you remove that? Can I just get the parts for this at like Checker?

Thanks guys.

Junior Member apocpg is on a distinguished road apocpg's Avatar

Default Re: Windshield wipers stopped working. The motor makes a sound but the wipers won't

turn your wipers on and see if the studs at the base of the wipers are moving if they are tighten the nuts.. chances are they are just loose

Member Shooter_Greek is on a distinguished road Shooter_Greek's Avatar

Default Re: Windshield wipers stopped working. The motor makes a sound but the wipers won't

You should try what was mentioned above, if not, it could be the linkage thats broken. My father had a similar problem on his MK3 and it turned out to be the linkage.

Banned tradethedead is on a distinguished road tradethedead's Avatar

mine actually just had the same problem, but i just bought a whole new assembely, used, off of vortex. but i came to find out that the nut had just came off, so check that first.

I took it all apart today and all of the nuts were tight. I think that what the problem is is that the little grooves inside of the transmission thing that is connected to the motor are stripped out. I'm talking about the thing that holds the shaft that connects the motor and transmission thing to the metal bars that the wipers, etc. are connected to ( I think I've seen it called the linkage).

Have any of you seen this happening before? I've searched on several forums and I haven't seen this problem anywhere, so before I go and buy a new motor I would like to know if any of you have any experience with this.

Also, is the cheapest place to buy parts cskauto.com?

Thanks.

Oh, and tradethedead, do you still have the whole assembly that you were talking about that you just bought?

Quote Originally Posted by lamborghini1900 View Post
    I took it all apart today and all of the nuts were tight. I think that what the problem is is that the little grooves inside of the transmission thing that is connected to the motor are stripped out. I'm talking about the thing that holds the shaft that connects the motor and transmission thing to the metal bars that the wipers, etc. are connected to ( I think I've seen it called the linkage).

Have any of you seen this happening before? I've searched on several forums and I haven't seen this problem anywhere, so before I go and buy a new motor I would like to know if any of you have any experience with this.

Also, is the cheapest place to buy parts cskauto.com?

Thanks.

Oh, and tradethedead, do you still have the whole assembly that you were talking about that you just bought?
    i just sent it to a guy on thursday. sorry i cant help you out. but i just saw a whole assembely on vwvortex yesterday for sale for about 40 bucks. ill look for it again.

edit: here is one http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4790119

here is just a motor. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4729895

i also didnt realize it was you posting on those threads. hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by tradethedead View Post
    i just sent it to a guy on thursday. sorry i cant help you out. but i just saw a whole assembely on vwvortex yesterday for sale for about 40 bucks. ill look for it again.

edit: here is one http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4790119

here is just a motor. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4729895

i also didnt realize it was you posting on those threads. hahaha.

Hey thanks for those links. I posted on them to see I can get one of the motors. No worries about selling your old one. I just saw that you are from Salt Lake and I am too, so it would be an easy transaction without shipping. No worries though. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by lamborghini1900 View Post
    hey thanks for those links. I posted on them to see i can get one of the motors. No worries about selling your old one. I just saw that you are from salt lake and i am too, so it would be an easy transaction without shipping. No worries though. Thanks for your help.
    your from salt lake and you didnt tell me!!!!!!!!!

There are only two of us from this area on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by tradethedead View Post
    your from salt lake and you didnt tell me!!!!!!!!!

There are only two of us from this area on this site!

Haha Ya I'm from Riverton. The south end of the valley. There are so many Jettas in SL I can't believe only two of us are on here. Crazy. Anyway, its good to know that I'm not alone on here. lol.

haha. im actaully in clearfield now. but yea there a a ton of jettas around here.

+ Reply to Thread