VW Jetta How To/DIY: DIY Throttle Body Cleaning|Forum Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Throttle Body Cleaning

Cowboy BigJ389 is on a distinguished road BigJ389's Avatar

Default DIY Throttle Body Cleaning

Ok well today I decided to clean the throttle body so decided to do a DIY. Also this is on a VR6 engine.

1) take off the air filter, I have the Neuspeed P-flow so this might different for some.

2)Then with the p-flow there will be another bolt screwed into your bay

3) take off the connection on the MAF, it'll have a little clip, you can take it off with either your finger or a screw driver

4)Then after you have taken off that connection, with a screw driver take off the clip or whatever want to call it, from the end of the intake hose connected to the MAF

5) Before you start pulling out the heat shield make sure to take off the Hose connected under it, it'll have a clip that you have to squeeze together and it'll come right off.

6)Right beside the Intake hose there will another little connector, once again you can take it off with either your finger or a screw driver.

7) Then You will have to take off 2 hoses, they will be located by where you pour the oil, one of them which you can see as labeled as #1, there will be a clip you can take off with some pliers, mine doesn't have it but its suppose to. The other one, which is labeled as #2, is a bigger hose and has a clip you have to squeeze together and it'll come right off.

Now on top of the intake hose right beside the throttle body, you will have another little connecter, take it off the same way you did with the other one beside the intake hose before.

9)Now once all the hoses and connectors have been removed, and also in this next picture you will see a better picture of where the connector is I was talking about on the previous step, Anyways, next you have to take off the clip holding the other side of the intake hose to the throttle body, you will need some pliers, Make sure you don't let go of it as you slide the intake hose out, that clip will jump out and its a PITA to put it back on due to its hard to compress.

10)Now you will have 4 screws that you will need some Hex keys, it'll need a 5mm one. Also on the bottom left there will be a small wire connected to it. it looks like its to grab some ground for something. You can see that wire on the second picture.

11) Once you are about to fully take off the last of the bolts, make sure to Grab the throttle body, due to it will just fall down,and you don't want that.

12) now that its off, get your carb cleaner, and a clean cloth and clean it out. should be able to clean something like this. I myself didn't use the carb cleaner, so I just had a clean cloth and rubbed everything off as best as I could so it might still look a lil dirty but not much..

13) Now just follow the steps backwards and you are done, finished, Hope this helps everyone.
    2006 Jetta 2.5l (daily) 1987 Golf 1.8 8v (project)
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBohan View Post
    And neon lights? Remember how badass you thought you were with those light up sketchers. But then you realized you were just emphasizing and highlighting the fact that you were wearing shin high socks, ugly ass power ranger shorts, a snotty tshirt and casio wrist watch? Yeah thats what your mitsubishi eclipse looks like.

Box One Collective j-man41 is on a distinguished road j-man41's Avatar

Default Re: DIY Throttle Body Cleaning

Nice writeup and pics J. I've been planning to do a cleaning on mine one of these days as well.

Have you had a chance to notice any improvment at all?

not yet, I just finished it right now, then came in right away to do this write up...I still have some tools out hahah, Ill be taking out in a bit though and ill let ya know.
    And neon lights? Remember how badass you thought you were with those light up sketchers. But then you realized you were just emphasizing and highlighting the fact that you were wearing shin high socks, ugly ass power ranger shorts, a snotty tshirt and casio wrist watch? Yeah thats what your mitsubishi eclipse looks like.

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Added to the list. How long did it take you?
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

about 15min, sooo easy

LIFETIME VIP billh1012 is on a distinguished road billh1012's Avatar

Jay were you able to reuse the throttle body gasket or did you use a new one?
    2005 MKIV Jetta 2.0
    Short Ram Intake
    Stubby Antenna
    Halo Projector Headlights
    My 2.0

mine didn't have a gasket, it just had a green adhesive type of thing, acts as a gasket though...

LIFETIME VIP billh1012 is on a distinguished road billh1012's Avatar

ok thats awesome great right up Jay
    2005 MKIV Jetta 2.0
    Short Ram Intake
    Stubby Antenna
    Halo Projector Headlights
    My 2.0

Member - VR6 Crew gforce211 is on a distinguished road gforce211's Avatar

BigJ, just wondering, how many miles did your VR6 have on it when you did this cleaning? I have a 00 VR6 w/ just over 80k and am wondering if I should think about doing this in the near future. Thanks for the great DIY BTW

thanx, and i had 122,xxx....but i guess it all just depends if you engine is running fine or throwing too much gunk, so yeah

BigJ389

Did you with your fingers etc open up the butterfly valve to clean its edges and where it hits the sides of the throttle body?

Billy

+ Reply to Thread