VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Camshaft position sensor |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camshaft position sensor

Default Camshaft position sensor

Alright so my check engine light for the past few weeks has been going on off every once and a while, so yesterday i finally went to auto zone for the code checker and it said that my camshaft position sensor is tweeking out from either faulty wiring, a f*cked up sensor, or mechanical probs.

Me and my friend looked around the web on the subject and we've found out a few things but alos have gotten conflicting info.

For one it seems everyone whos had this problem says that after driving for 20 minutes their engine stalls, i've gone on hour plus trips and have been fine so idk whats different with me.

some more conflicting info i've gotten is the time it would take ot replace the sensor, we've seen 30 minutes to 5 hours.

And on wiki answers it says in the process we would have ot unbolt the engine and have it sit on a car jack while still in the car which doesn't seem to make any sense.

Does anybody know where i could find a good DIY for replacing the sensor, or if i should even try doing this myself or send it to a mechanic or what.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Boost Addicted; 04-07-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Gotta ''sensor'' f-bombs lol

Default Re: Camshaft position sensor

Which engine? Year? Model? lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

Look at the my name, 2000 jetta vr6

*btw love the quote you have there

Ahh, yes, retard moment lol my apologies. Not sure on the VR6. I know on the 2.0 and 1.8T you have to remove the cam gear to get to it which means you're pretty much doing a timing belt job. You can expect it to take approx 5 hours for a professional to do it.

May as well do chain guides and water pump while you're in there...
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

i looked around and i found some one askin the same thing on vw vortex and that said that on a vr6 It's on the upper timing cover behind the ignition coil and that its about a 20 minute job.

i guess its pretty radically different for the vr6 versus the 4 cylinders

Must be lol, in a good way too. Well good luck, should be pretty easy.
    I will fight you.

+ Reply to Thread