Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

FOB Programming Instructions

162K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  Skimmer0220 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.woodsboroautosales.com/sidewinderkey.html said:
VW Volkswagen keyless entry flip key remote users guide

VW sidewinder flip key application 1998 to 2009

Volkswagen does not have a comprehensive application guide or chart. Nor is their part application of these remotes complete or specific.
Short version:
1998-1999 New Beetle: any HAA key works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T, no immobilizer system

1998 to 2001 Passat: any HAA Key works, 3 button remote 1J0959753F (E = wagon) and 1J0959753T (S = wagon), no immobilizer system

1999 1/2 Golf & Jetta: any HAA key works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T. no immobilizer system

2000 to 2001 Golf & Jetta: any HAA key with rfid chip works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T. yes, immobilizer system

2002 to 2005 New Beetle, Passat, Golf, Jetta: any HAA key with rfid chip works, remote= 1J0959753AM or DC . yes, immobilizer system

2005.5 to 2007 Golf, Jetta; newer HAA key 1T0, remote= 1K0959753H, yes, immobilizer system

2005.5 to 2010 New Beetle; newer HAA key 1T0, remote= 1J0959753AM or DC, yes, immobilizer system

Volkswagens security key system is like the old bug with the cart in front of the horse, you program the car to the key, not the key to the car.

2008 and 2009 are VW dealer only keys, cars are too new, keys have different frequencies and chips than the older cars.

Programing the button REMOTE portion of the key is simple.
You do need 2 keys. You must be able to lock the drivers door and have the red led alarm light next to the lock button blink. If it does not blink, the alarm does not know the door is closed and will not go into program mode. Put one key in the ignition switch, turn on, do not start engine. Close the door, use 2nd key, turn door lock and hold in lock position for 10 seconds. Release key to neutral position.
Press a button on the remote, within 2 seconds press the same button again, the turn signal lights will flash,
this indicates your remote matches the car system and is now recognized. Unlock door remove key from ignition.
So don't pay extra 99 cents to $5 for these instructions in hopes of getting the KEY to function with the car.
Instructions are only for the keyless remote, not the key.

The HAA keys are cut by using your serial number to the car (vin dependent) There is a 4 digit key code, unless you are the original owner or you have the black zip tie tag that was attached to the black valet key, you will not have the key code. We use an image of the key cut to verify the code to be cut.
Applications contained here-in are for the Volkswagens in North America. Volkswagen has 7 markets worldwide. Due to frequency licensing in different countries the remotes will have other part numbers similar to USA. Example, the oval 2 button E and the 3 button F in Europe are G and H. Asia uses A and B. They are not interchangeable between countries.
Starting in 1998 with the New Beetle 98-99 and Passat 1998 to 2001.5 (01 Passat serial number 49999 or less), with the Golf IV and Jetta IV 1999.5, the key does not have a computer chip, and does not need the engine computer programed to recognize it. The remote has the oval button HLO 1J0 959 753 F . The remote does not have the chrome bar on the end, only the corner loop to attach to a key ring. This remote will not work with 2002 and newer Volkswagens.
Now available is this vintage look key for the cars without the immobilizer systems or to use as a hide-a-key or emergency key to gain entry to the car if you locked your other keys inside.

Original 1J0959753F application 08/97 to 05/99 do not have transponder computer chip for 06/99 to 05/01 and newer Volkswagens that require one. 1998 and early 1999 cars had banjo Hella remotes. The F and T flip key 3 button remotes ( E and S are 2 button for the wagon) will work with these cars. Replacement 1J0959753F (and E) all have transponder chips. See date codes marked after the part number on the button remote portion of the key. 34/98 = week 34 of 1998
If you have the oval button remote and the batteries keep going dead or with new batteries it won't work. The button gets distorted and keeps the switch under the button pressed, killing the battery. This also prevents it from being programmed. You may have to match the remote to the car if the batteries have been dead too long.
Some models, the transition date is different, look for the yellow car with the key under it when you turn the ignition on.
(second light from the left)

Will not do Cabrio, Eurovan or 2005.5 up cars.
key tag that came with the valet / mechanics key.

1J0959753T ( S is the 2 button) original application 10/00 to 05/01 but will work from 08/97 (new beetle) 1999.5 to 05/01 Golf, Jetta, Passat (original may look like F with oval button) Only 1 out of 3 oval button remotes have the transponder chip because only 1 out of 3 are the T version. Even with the chip, a used flip key head cannot be made to start the immobilizer cars unless the chip is new. The chip is a one time use device. Once matched to a car, it belongs to that car.
1J0959753AM original application 06/2001 to 2005 New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat but will not work on 05/2001 and older cars. Note: AM and DC will work with Eurovan 2001-2004 and will need to be recognized by engine computer.
In 2000 model year (around May 1999) the transition takes place with immobilizer 2, (immo II) the addition of a writable computer chip inside the key portion of the flip key. 2001 is a transition year. The remote changes to the squared buttons but the frequency of the button remote is the same as the older Volkswagens with the oval buttons. This remote will work on the older cars but not the newer cars. HLO 1J0 959 753 T (wagon 2 button is S) It can be programmed to the engine computer but not to the keyless entry of 2002 (May 2001) and newer Volkswagens. It has the newer look with the chrome bar on the end.

Starting late in 2001(June) to 2005 the squared button remote has a more common part number HLO 1J0 959 753 AM (replaced by 1J0959753DC). This remote has a different frequency matched only to Golf IV Jetta IV Passat and New Beetle. It has the chrome bar and a computer chip. You can buy the Vagtacho software from me and do it with your laptop or you will need a VW dealer or Automotive Locksmith to program the engine computer to recognize the key. After the key is cut, it will work in the locks, start the engine, but the engine will shut off as a theft prevention if the engine computer has not been programed to recognize it. This key will work in 2000 and older Volkswagens but the 3 button remote will not. It has a different frequency. Works with Eurovan 2001-2004. This key also works on 2006 TDI Jetta (December 2005) since the diesel production was ending they installed the older keyless systems. Check your remote to match part number.
Taken from http://www.woodsboroautosales.com/sidewinderkey.html

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Starting in 2005.6 (June) the immobilizer III system started with all new frequencies. Newer VW remotes do not work on older Volkswagens. Suffix letter H P Q, yes they are identical in looks, but do not transmit the same signal. The transponder chip is different in the 2008 and 2009 models.
Flip Key 1998 to 2009: The portion of the key that is the key has a part number. This part number is never advertised because it is not on the key portion like the remote portion. Your VW dealer sells you that part separate from the button remote part. That is why a remote flip key UNIT is so expensive. The key portion is $50 to $60 (new) and the remote button portion is $80 to $100 (new).
Rabbit (golf 5), and Jetta 2005.5 to 2008 HLO 1JO959753P, HLO 1K0959753H the flip key head has a different transponder 1T0 prefix. The flip keys sold here on ebay DO NOT WORK.
The Touareg 2004 to 2006 HLO 3D0959753T (3 button) 3D0959753Q (no trunk button) has green led
The Phaeton HLO 3DO959753F has green led
Some of the above remotes you cannot self program. You will need to use the VAG software in system 46.
If you have a broken key blade, have it copied and installed back onto your keyless entry. No programming is needed.
If you have a good key blade but the remote is damaged or the flip mechanism is broken you can transfer the computer chip and program the replacement remote to the car. The key blade does not have a chip, the chip is in the black flip portion of the unit. No programming is needed. Separate the halfs. Pry the emblem off. Under the emblem is a Phillips screw, remove it. The halfs will separate. In the long slot there is a pill, looks like a long black grain of rice. That is the computer chip. This chip is sometimes glued in. Remove the chip from the new remote and install your old chip. Now the computer will recognize the new flip key as the old flip key.
You could even attach the old computer chip under the steering column cover (near the switch) and as long as it is in range, any key will work! No more programming. You are fooling the system. Do not lose or damage the chip (looks like a glass pill) or it will cost you $$$ means hundreds of dollars of expense. You can leave the chip in the half of the flip half and secure the entire piece without removing the chip from the housing if it is glued in tight.
All conventional looking keys have a computer chip molded into that fat plastic fob head. All of these keys will work and can be programed to the immo II systems 1998 to 2005.5. The immo III system 2006 to 2009 cars have different keys.
All flip keys are Main keys. The key pictured below is a Main key HAA. Valet key is a different blank, series NAA, it is cut the same but will not enter the glove box or trunk lock. There is no such thing as a master key for VW. (that would be like the key housekeeping uses in a hotel and the rooms are different cars) Markings on the key, Huff, w3, etc mean nothing, they are not codes. These keys do not have codes marked on them, some of the lock bodys are lazer scribed with the 4 digit lock code. Remove the door handle from the outside of the car, code is on body of cylinder housing.
Cabrio uses the key pictured below, there is no flip key application for the Cabrio. You must use the Clarion banjo remote.
Cabrio 1999 does not have the immo system vin X806131 to X89900 but requires the Siemans chip, key 3B0 R

Cabrio 2000 has the immo system vin Y800001 to Y804287 key 6N0 H system wfs2

Cabrio 2001 has the immo system vin Y804288 to 2002 models key 6N0 P system wfs3

You can make main keys (haa) from your Valet key (naa), same cut just different blank.
So be careful which flip key remotes you buy here on ebay.
Tips for cutting sidewinder keys: use lubricant, yes lubricant small amount of 3in1 oil or triflow. Blade is 3mm thick, minimum partition is 0.5 mm, minimum cut depth is 1.25 mm on each side. Common error is to not cut key all the way or cut gets shallow the farther it goes into the key, so key does not enter the lock all the way.

#8 ·
Well, you definitely lifted the veil of mystery from this topic. Lots of folks here can use this.

Thanks!

#11 ·
VW Volkswagen keyless entry flip key remote users guide

Starting late in 2001(June) to 2005 the squared button remote has a more common part number HLO 1J0 959 753 AM (replaced by 1J0959753DC). This remote has a different frequency matched only to Golf IV Jetta IV Passat and New Beetle. It has the chrome bar and a computer chip. You can buy the Vagtacho software from me and do it with your laptop or you will need a VW dealer or Automotive Locksmith to program the engine computer to recognize the key. After the key is cut, it will work in the locks, start the engine, but the engine will shut off as a theft prevention if the engine computer has not been programed to recognize it. This key will work in 2000 and older Volkswagens but the 3 button remote will not. It has a different frequency. Works with Eurovan 2001-2004. This key also works on 2006 TDI Jetta (December 2005) since the diesel production was ending they installed the older keyless systems. Check your remote to match part number.
A couple of years ago, I purchased a used 2001 Passat. When I picked up the car, it only had 1 key. I went to the dealer, purchased a new key and had it programmed. About 4 weeks later, the car dealership where I puchased the Passat called up and told me that the owners manual and 2 other keys showed up. Needless to say, I know have 2 keys that work and 2 that don't.

I've read some info that leads me to believe that software might be able to help me, but if I don't have the secret key code PIN the software would not help to get all 4 keys programmed to work with my Passat.

Do you have any additional information that could help?

#12 ·
ok... all yo
v gotta do is follow the gvide and it will program the remotes that do not work
software not needed pardon the v's my keyboard is fvbar

#13 ·
This may not be related to the topic but I recently purchased a '07 Jetta from a previous owner. He had one key (the key to unlock and start the engine) but no remote on it, just the key. I noticed that I need another key to unlock the backseats, etc. My questions is, do I have to purchase this key at the dealer or can I get it somewhere else? If so where else?

#19 · (Edited)
Hello, I want to thank you for doing this write up. It is very informitive. But I have a question that I would like cleared up. I have a 2002 Passat with a remote with the part number 1J0959753AM.

The question is, I have read online that the transponders in VW remotes are one time use. That is once they are programed to a car, you may not reprogram them to another car. But you said in your write up that "you match the car to the key, not the key to the car." So that information I have heard is incorrect? If this is the case then wouldn't I be able to purchase a OEM key off the ebay, get a new blade cut, go to the stealership and get the keys programed? Please let me know! Thank you in advance!

#20 ·
Hello, I want to thank you for doing this write up. It is very informitive. But I have a question that I would like cleared up. I have a 2002 Passat with a remote with the part number 1J0959753AM.

The question is, I have read online that the transponders in VW remotes are one time use. That is once they are programed to a car, you may not reprogram them to another car. But you said in your write up that "you match the car to the key, not the key to the car." So that information I have heard is incorrect? If this is the case then wouldn't I be able to purchase a OEM key off the ebay, get a new blade cut, go to the stealership and get the keys programed? Please let me know! Thank you in advance!
Any REMOTE can be matched to any car it is designed to work with.

The transponder chip is not in the remote half, the remote has nothing to do with the immobilizer anti-theft system

The transponder is in the key flip half, see picture at www.haakey.com

Yes, you can buy a flip on eBay, but make the cutting arrangement in advance, not many places will cut a key they do not sell

need a key cut, need the vagtacho to activate the key? email me mark1service@comcast.net www.sidewinderkey.com

Mark

#23 ·
This key also works on 2006 TDI Jetta (December 2005) since the diesel production was ending they installed the older keyless systems. Check your remote to match part number.
Hi, I just bought a 2006 Jetta Sedan TDI VIN K. The car was in a accident and I didn't get any keys with the purchase of the vehicle. I just purchased the following new uncut complete remote key on Ebay yesterday for code 1K0959753H.

Is this going to work for me as I saw you said the 2006 TDI uses the older IMO2?

Here's the Ebay link for the key I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-V...Volkswagen&hash=item25615464b2#ht_3826wt_1165

Ebay listing ID# 160546710706

Thanks ahead of time. Any help is appreciated.

#31 ·
Ok sorry I haven't been on In a while.

To answer ur question is easy. Change your battery. It is losing signal strength.

#25 ·
I got a 2001 1.8T and I lost my switchblade key. I only have the valet key. the 6,7,8th of my VIN are 29M, so I dont have the immob system correct? So therefor I can buy a blank or a cut one form ESC and then program it myself? Or Do I still need the dealer. (I dont have the vag system or any of that stuff)

#27 ·
Ok just to clear things up about the fobs. You do not need any software. If you have a dub newer that 99 then most likely you have an immob. You MUST get them programmed by a pro. If you don't have the immob then follow instructions above to program to your car. If you can't get that then buy a spare and have that cut at vw.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some of the above remotes you cannot self program. You will need to use the VAG software in system 46.

If you have a broken key blade, have it copied and installed back onto your keyless entry. No activation is needed.

If you have a good key blade but the remote is damaged or the flip mechanism is broken you can transfer the computer chip and match the replacement remote to the car. I sell used flip cams to repair your flip, click here for replacement cam The key blade does not have a chip, the chip is in the black flip portion of the unit. No activation is needed. Separate the haves. Pry the emblem off. Under the emblem is a Phillips screw, remove it. The halfs will separate. In the long slot there is a pill, looks like a long black grain of rice. That is the computer chip. This chip is sometimes glued in Remove the chip from the new remote and install your old chip. Now the computer will recognize the new flip key as the old flip key.

You could even attach the old computer chip under the steering column cover (near the switch) and as long as it is in range, any key will work! No more activating. You are fooling the system. Do not lose or damage the chip (looks like a glass pill) or it will cost you $$$ means hundreds of dollars of expense. You can leave the chip in the half of the flip half and secure the entire piece without removing the chip from the housing if it is glued in tight.

All conventional looking keys have a computer chip molded into that fat plastic fob head. All of these keys will work and can be programed to the immo II systems 1998 to 2005.5. The immo III system 2006 to 2009 cars have different keys.

All flip keys are Main keys. The key pictured below is a Main key HAA. Valet key is a different blank, series NAA, it is cut the same but will not enter the glove box or trunk lock. There is no such thing as a master key for VW. (that would be like the key housekeeping uses in a hotel and the rooms are different cars) Markings on the key, Huff, w3, etc mean nothing, they are not codes. These keys do not have codes marked on them, some of the lock bodies are lazer scribed with the 4 digit lock code. Remove the door handle from the outside of the car, code is on body of cylinder housing.

Cabrio uses the key pictured below, there is no flip key application for the Cabrio. You must use the Clarion banjo remote.
You can make main keys (haa) from your Valet key (naa), same cut just different blank.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615595,-88.302897

#32 ·
Ok I'm sorry but lock less entry must be done by a dealer only. It would be nearly impossible to explain the ungodly process of programming that freakin thing. You have to program the engines computer to read
And accept your key. And is damn near impossible to do on your own. You kinda screwed the pooch when you got keyless only. Sorry again.

#34 ·
someone has put a passenger handle on a drivers door, just remove the handle and operate the lock with a screwdriver or install a handle that has a key, even the 2008 cars without a keyhole have a key, it is covered by a trim blank, this is how you unlock the door when the battery in the car goes dead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.