VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: How do I change the thermostat on my MKIII 2.0?|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I change the thermostat on my MKIII 2.0?

Senior Member NuuTuuVeeDubb is on a distinguished road NuuTuuVeeDubb's Avatar

Default How do I change the thermostat on my MKIII 2.0?

Hello, I have to flush the coolant system on my Jetta and replace some coolant lines and the plastic coolant flange which is leaking... I figure that since I'm going to be flushing the system I may as well replace the thermostat, I'm a noob and everything I found on google on how to do it makes it seem like a pretty difficult job! So what I'm asking is, how do I do it basically? I've got a 95 MkIII GL 2.0... Thanks in advance for any help!!

Senior Member chrisicool is on a distinguished road chrisicool's Avatar

Default Re: How do I change the thermostat on my MKIII 2.0?

It's not a hard job, but my biggest suggestion is to pickup a chiltons repair manual. People could tell you into great detail how to do it, but it'll make it much more easier having a manual with diagrams, and pictures to guide you through the process. They're pretty inexpensive.

Junior Member apocpg is on a distinguished road apocpg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuuTuuVeeDubb View Post
    Hello, I have to flush the coolant system on my Jetta and replace some coolant lines and the plastic coolant flange which is leaking... I figure that since I'm going to be flushing the system I may as well replace the thermostat, I'm a noob and everything I found on google on how to do it makes it seem like a pretty difficult job! So what I'm asking is, how do I do it basically? I've got a 95 MkIII GL 2.0... Thanks in advance for any help!!
    the thermostat is located rght beside the water pump... its easier to access from underneath the vehicle

Senior Member Green '95 is on a distinguished road Green '95's Avatar

Remove the power steering pump. Take the two bolts out of the plastic thermostat housing and swap it. It can be a pain in the ass to get it to stay in place while you put the housing back on tho. Just make sure you dont crack the housing while you're workin on it.

+ Reply to Thread