VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: Rotten floor pan pictures|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotten floor pan pictures

Junior Member apocpg is on a distinguished road apocpg's Avatar

Unhappy Rotten floor pan pictures

here are some pics of my floor rust.. im going to be patching with 18-16ga satin coat steel and welding into place and then seal with undercoating spray

anything i should worry about or think about before i proceed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG‎
Views:	797
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	1631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg‎
Views:	850
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	1632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2918.JPG‎
Views:	743
Size:	890.3 KB
ID:	1633  

Senior Member chrisicool is on a distinguished road chrisicool's Avatar

Default Re: Rotten floor pan pictures

at first when I had heard of your floor pans I was expecting maybe some mild rust, maybe a small hole or two, but that's some good work right there. You'll have to replace a lot of that. Makes me cringe when I think of what's under mine. Try to shave off most of the rust you can, making cuts in segments, and try to go with the flow of the metal. nothing could be worse than replacing the metal only to have it rust over again. Prep, prepare, clean. Clean as you go, try not to contaminate the work you are working on.

dang man pretty soon that would be a flinstone car lol...you patching the holes orr putting one big sheet to cover it all? i would just bolt it to the old floor=]..unless u really like welding

Quote Originally Posted by jedduh View Post
    dang man pretty soon that would be a flinstone car lol...you patching the holes orr putting one big sheet to cover it all? i would just bolt it to the old floor=]..unless u really like welding
    im going to weld it and form it as best as best as i can, yeah its going to be a lot of prepping and cleaning as i go

Quote Originally Posted by chrisicool View Post
    at first when I had heard of your floor pans I was expecting maybe some mild rust, maybe a small hole or two, but that's some good work right there. You'll have to replace a lot of that. Makes me cringe when I think of what's under mine. Try to shave off most of the rust you can, making cuts in segments, and try to go with the flow of the metal. nothing could be worse than replacing the metal only to have it rust over again. Prep, prepare, clean. Clean as you go, try not to contaminate the work you are working on.
    i knew of one small hole when i started but ive knocked some out when i removed the carpet and ended up with this, now i just got to cut the rust out and start patching

AllShoNoGo Gargamelmk2 is on a distinguished road Gargamelmk2's Avatar
    Summerside,Prince Edward island. C-A-N-A-D-A

Quote Originally Posted by apocpg View Post
    i knew of one small hole when i started but ive knocked some out when i removed the carpet and ended up with this, now i just got to cut the rust out and start patching
    You gotta hit up the East coast of Canada if you want to see some real rot..lol..hope you're all patched up and rollin
    Hidden Content If Nissan motorsports is called Nismo, wouldn't Honda motorsports be called Homo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 View Post
    You gotta hit up the East coast of Canada if you want to see some real rot..lol..hope you're all patched up and rollin
    yeah im on the west coast of canada.........i did some more cutting today and it looks like the frame is pretty rotten so im not sure what im going to do at this point

Did you get a new floor pan or just patch it up bro?
    I have a vr6 1998 and it runs great but i just found out about the floor issue. and do you know if the mk2 floors will fit the mk3 no one seems to know. I found some new ones online?

Member Bobster is on a distinguished road Bobster's Avatar

I doubt Mk2 will fit Mk3 EXACTLY, but I could be wrong.

Refering to OP, there comes a point in a car's life when it is not worth fixing and it goes on to help other cars achieve a longer life. That point in time can be a major accident, blown engine or tranny, excessive compounded mechanical repairs and/or body/frame rot. Too many people throw good money after bad and too many people try to sell a POS that should be in a junkyard instead of for sale. Buyer Beware!
    06 GLI M6 04 GLS 1.8t M5 Dozens of air and water-cooled over the years inc. a Thing!

+ Reply to Thread