Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

DIY MKIV 1.8T Fuel Filter Replacement

48K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  adamborav6 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know this is a rather easy task but I just changed my fuel filter on my '01 Wolfsburg the other day and didn't see a DIY on here for it, so I figure I'd make my contribution to society. So I know this is super simple and most of you probably know exactly how to do it but I hope I help someone.

TOOLS NEEDED

Jack Lift
Phillips or Flat Head Screwdriver
Bare Hands

You can grab your everyday run of the mill fuel filter from any major parts store for around 12 bucks or so. This one came from O'Reily's for $12.99. Part number is 33521.

Your fuel filter is located on the RIGHT REAR of the car in front of the rear tire. So you will need to jack your car up to get under there and switch it out. Once you get the car lifted up and look in front of the back tire this is what you should see

Once you have located the filter itself you are going to need to pop the cables from there clamps so you can get to the filter a little easier

After you have removed those cables you will need to release the filter from its bracket attached to the car. Mine had a Philips head hose clamp wrapped around it

(I know it looks like a flat head only but it actually is a Phillips or flat head which ever you prefer)
This clamp has to be completely unscrewed so the filter will release from the car.

Next you are going to un-clamp the fuel line from both ends of the filter.

I only took picture on the end closest to me the opposite end is exactly the same. Once you have located the clamps they are kind of hard to get off especially after all the road grime gets caught up in them. These clamps are interesting to get to and you really don't want to force/pry them off. If you feel on the clamp you can feel a little "tab" around the bottom of one side.

( I did this after filter was removed for picture purposes)

Your going to want to push that tab in, you may have to mash it several times to get all the dirt loosened up so it will come off. After you get the tab pushed all the way in you'll want to gently twist and pull off the clamp with the tab still depressed. Be careful when you remove these clamps they are the FUEL LINE and if you have driven your car in the last hour or so there will still be pressure in the line and will get a little spew when first removed, not to mention that gasoline is extremely flammable (if you didn't already know). After both clamps have been removed you can pull the filter from the bracket holding it. Try and keep the filter as level as possible because its still full of gas. After removal be sure to dump the filter in the proper place and let it air out for a little while before disposing of it. After all is said and done this should be what you have left.

Notice that is the opposite end clamp of the filter I had to remove that one by feel because I couldn't see to remove it. Assembly is just backwards of what was done. Always check the flow of the fuel filter, it will be clearly marked on the ends of it with IN and OUT, don't put it on backwards. Also be sure that you hear the fuel line clamps click to the filter and wont come off. Other than that after it is all finished the first time you go to crank your car you will have to let it turn over for a few seconds so it can pull fuel through the new filter before it will start.

Like I said this is a really easy task and the majority of you know what to do any way, but I figured it couldn't hurt if there was a DIY on it anyway.

BTW this is my first DIY on these forums so try and take it easy on my as far as comments go. Thanks and Good Luck

See less See more
#6 ·
Always great to have more for the DIY section! Good write up, and hey, no matter how easy anyone thinks it is, it will always help someone! We all started somewhere right :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Looks good dude. The only thing I'd change/recommend is pulling the fuel system relay, then starting the car and letting it die (takes all the pressure out of the lines so you don't get shot in the face with gasoline).

#8 ·
Well written, I'm glad you took the time to do this. I actually just replaced my fuel filter on the MK3 2.0, same position, same bracket. I had thought of writting a DIY up for it, I'm glad you did. It's a relatively easy install, and like boost addicted said I'd de-pressurize the fuel system first. My fuse for the pump was in position 18, but the chiltons manual says its generally in the 12 position.

#10 ·
Today me and my father in law attempted to do this and it ended up turning out horrible lol.

We tried and tried to get the clamps off but it never worked, so we kinda assumed (without having this diy in front of us, OR internet access) that the hose would disconnect, evidently it wasn't suppose to cause the hose broke off the nipple for the first clamp. We realized ok this is NOT right, and decided to work harder and slower on the next.. It ended up breaking too lol. So I went to CT (Crappy Tire) and bought a "repair kit" which was actually just an 8mm replacement clamp for both sides of the new filter. we also bought an 8MM nipple, which we planned to get some fuel line to extend the side that has the hose that comes around the gas tank. (we did all this because we had to cut some of the hose on each end to be able to have a clean connection). the only problem i am having now is that the link with the 8mm nipple is leaking a bit. it drips once every minute or so, ive heard any kind of sealant will just get eaten up by the gas so all i can think to stop this is putting a clamp ar ound that nipple.. any ideas?

#11 ·
I just finished this job and this DIY helped out. I wanted to add one thing that I did to remove the fuel line clamp without using floor jacks of any kind. I changed mine in my garage and was able to remove the front line fairly easily. The line connector attached to the rear side of the filter is harder to get to, especially if you aren't under the car. I used a regular 9" straight screwdriver. I stood the screwdriver on it's end and the height was perfect to engage the release button on the clamp.

#12 ·
I'm so sorry to necro an old thread....but I would really love it if the OP could edit his tutorial to update the pictures with a better picture hosting. I have always had problems myself using photobucket, and since switched to imageshack or tinypic.

I might be asking for a lot though, thanks.

#13 ·
Nah not asking for alot at all.... Might wanna PM the poster though to make sure he sees your message.

#14 ·
Yeah I just got back on today for the first time in a long time and saw your PM. I cant find how to edit the post to update those pics so everyone can see them again. If someone can show me how to edit that post, Ill have the pics right back up there. Sorry for the mix up.

#18 ·
well, i hope im not the only one who just f-ed that job up haha. i broke my little magic buttons cause they were so stuck on. now ive gotta replace my whole fuel line, both sides. woo hoo. made a 12 dollar job, into a 212 dollar. awesome. and of course, the only place i can buy the lines would be the stealership.

#20 ·
I just changed the fuel filter on my 2003 Jetta 2.0. It's the same set-up described in Cglongino's write-up. I also used the Wix 33521 fuel filter as a replacement for the factory filter. The only thing I noticed that was different was that the Wix filter had the fuel flow arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the factory filter. Now, because the arrow needs to point to the engine, instead of the flat end of the filter facing the front, it faces to the rear with the rounded end to the front. I test drove it and all seems good.

Cglongino, since you used the same filter, did you see the same thing? What did you do? Thanks!

#22 ·
Got my fuel filter from VW TPS today for £5 :D well chuffed.

Part number is: 1J0 201 511A

Thanks for this write up I am going to do it tomorrow morning as it will be better for the fuel lines to clear a bit so ita ok getting it off :) cant wait hope I dont mess up ... and I really hope it comes off easy as I have read the bolt gets rusty and is kinda hard to get off and people have had to haxsaw the bolt off!

Adz.

Sent from Adams GT-I9100 via Planet VAG :p

#23 ·
Looks like I want be doing this process as the bolt on the clamp is very rusty an very weak therfore needs to be sawn off :(

Will leave it for a garage to do now as I dont have the tools may need a new clamp and bolt to before I put the new filter in there.

Adz.

Sent from Adams GT-I9100 via Planet VAG :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.