Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

**MKIV Noob Guide** READ BEFORE POSTING

115K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  TNRiderguy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
You're looking at the official n00b guide for the mk4 section. To cut down on stickies, I've linked all of the old stickies in this thread. **This is a work in progress** Myself, along with all the other moderators will be adding info to this thread periodically, and if you feel something isn't here that should be, please PM me.

All you need to know about:

Exterior mods Curious about different bumper setups? Want to know what a "boser" is?
Head and tail lights Looking for different light setups, or just want to know what a "Joey mod" is?
Intakes Can't decide between a cold air or short ram intake? Or want to learn about this "Swiss cheese" mod?
Exhaust systems Want to figure out which exhaust system is best for your engine? Or how about just listening to some different set ups?
Fuse list Need to find out which fuse is which? This will tell you.
Suspension All you need to know about upgrading
Wheel and Tire fitment Fitment questions? Need to know was "ET" is?
Synthetic oil vs. Regular Want to make sure you are using the right oil grade?
Diverter Valve vs. Blow Off Valve Learn why diverter valves are better for your VW than blow off valves
Stance Check out some different tire set ups and decide which size is right for your new wheels

Have questions about bolt on mods? Refer to your designated engine's thread.
2.0L bolt on mods
1.8T bolt on mods

Some helpful links:
Master Do-It-Yourself List
Official List of VW part sites
Retailer Reputation Thread
Buyer's Checklist
Free Diagnostic Software
Stock MK4 wheel specs
Official Coilover thread
List of Relays
Why OEM G12 coolant is best for your VW
Ultimate Guide to Going Low

See less See more
#4 ·
we need to add some vr6 bolt ons

#5 ·
Like what? Nothing really cheap for the 24v engine, they did such a good job engineering it there's not much to upgrade besides ecu and cams and exhaust. Now if your budget for bolt-ons is a couple-few grand then you get down to business without going turbo. 12v a little different... might be a few more options.

#6 ·
well just basic bolt ons...cuz lately there been alot of vr6'ers asking what they can add...

#12 ·
lol, oddly enough, i have been secretly workin on a vr6 bolt on thread shhss dont tell. its takin awhile becuz im not too familiar with that motor, but im hopin to have it done soon, PM me with any ideas to add to my list. gotta give some love to vicky and bigJ with their vr6 mods :).

edit: damn vicky, ur doin some overtime work on here. im not sure how to set up the links like u did tho, so ud have to PM with the how-to haha.......noob i know i know.

#14 ·
Alright guys, with the new forum upgrade we lost all of our links BUT, Cory and I saved all the important stuff and I relinked them already, just have to do the DIY's, so be patient with us please :)

#17 ·
Hey, how about a Potential Buyer/New Owner "things to look for" list? I started one in a post a couple of days ago...feel free to dig it up and use it if you like. Or I can if you like -- would I just copy and paste into a new thread? Mike

#19 ·
I meant something more model-specific (MK4, in my case). Like this:

Brake light switch: the correct one is green.

Hazards: if you have any problems with your hazards or turn indicators (the turn indicator relay lives inside the hazard switch), then it hasn't been done.

LATCH system: look for some stickers on the bottom of the rear seat uprights.

Other things to look for (not recalled, but upgraded):

Coolant temp sensor: new model is green (old is black);

Backup light switch (if your reverse lights don't come on and you have a manual tranny): figure out if you have the black, bolt-on-from-the-top version or
the screw in version and replace accordingly;

Clutch switches (manual tranny only, of course): there are two next to each other - if you can start your car without pressing in the clutch pedal (or you're having cruise control issues), replace them both;

Door lock module: if the courtesy light on your driver's door doesn't light up when the door is open (and the bulb is good), you may have to replace the door lock module -- there's a non-replaceable (not easily, anyway) micro-switch in the module that "tells" the car's ECM when the door is open and, when not working, all sorts of little gremlins pop up (do a search if you need to replace the module, there's been lots written about it);

Trunk lid microswitch: if the courtesy light on your trunk lid doesn't light up when it is open (and the bulb is good), you may have to replace the micro-switch on the lock mechanism;

Fan Control Module: A/C stopped working suddenly? Compressor not engaging? Most likely your FCM needs replacing: $50 online (or $200 from a dealer) and about an hour of your time.

High-mount cupholders: if yours aren't broken, don't worry -- they will be soon enough.

#22 ·
my cars starting to come along with all the modifications i would like to be done on it. and my next big step is going to be suspension! ive carefully been searching for the best and most popular suspensions. i just need some help and personall opinions on what you all would reccomend. If im gonna go low then i really want it slammed (keep in mind though i do live in BFE kentucky and the roads are facking terrible lol) still not sure if air ride is an option right now either but ill consider it. would really love to hear what you all think. thanks - jetta mkiv gls (04)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.