Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2001 Jetta VR6 Shifting questions

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shooter_Greek 
#1 ·
Hey all. Been reading for some time now and after searching the forums for answers I decided to finally post a question. I am driving a 2001 Jetta VR6, automatic tranny, 103,000 miles. I have a CEL on and have had it to the dealership. They replaced one vacuum hose and did a transmission service. They told me that if the light comes back on that they may have to change the auxillary air pump. (I think thats what it was) But I don't know if that will solve my problem. See when driving, if I let off the gas and then get right back on it, it will either hesitate or jump gears (feels like). If I get too hard on the gas, the CEL will blink. When they serviced the transmission, the said everything looked fine there. And after reading on here I don't think that the aux airpump will solve this issue. So I guess I'm just looking for suggestions as to what this may be. Is it a vacuum issue? And if so, where is there a diagram of chasing all those lines? Thanks all.

#2 ·
Well the CEL flashing could be caused by a number of things. I would start by checking your coil packs and spark plugs. I just experienced a similar problem on my VR6. I checked the coil packs to find that most of them were shot. IMO The dealership will tend to temporarily fix the problem so that they can keep you coming back.

#3 ·
I wondered about that. Because at idle, after its warm, it will sometimes sound like it misses. Or when you drive with even pressure on the gas going up a hill. I was checking prices, am I right, the coil pack is about 400 dollars? Or am I looking at the wrong item? I apologize, but I'm pretty new to VW and have only dealt with Distributor caps. Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
I really couldn't tell you how much it should go for but as long as you are getting a coil pack and not individual coil-to-plug cylinders it should be the right part. Just make sure it is for a 12v VR6. (i am assuming yours is a 12v correct me if a am wrong.) if you want to verify that it is the coil pack and not something else let the car run until it warms up and spray water over the coil pack. If the engine stats to stutter then it is probably your coil pack causing the problem.

Hope this helps i am no mechanic but i know VW's pretty well. I own 4 of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.