Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Help a noobie out! P3081 Engine code!

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  HotboxGLI 
#1 ·
So im getting the P3081 engine code which is for low engine temperature...
Although, the car runs normal, and the temp sits at the normal rate.
I read somewhere that it might be an etc sensor? I ordered the part and it arrives thursday and im gonna try to fix it...
Do you think thats my problem?

#2 ·
I have a thread on this I got this same code twice 1 month apart, it could be your thermostat has gone bad or is opening to soon in which case you need a new one, also like you said the ECT sensor is a cheap easy fix which you should do anyways if you have the black top one (get the green one), and seeing as how you say the car is running normal and not over heating you can rule out water pump. One thing you can do is grab a buddy have him hold throttle at like 1500 RPM and just see if coolant is flowing, also check your coolant level, coolant leakage, and make sure you used correct coolant type.

Hope this helped =D Welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Well i just bought the car so im not too sure what kind of coolant is in it...although im assuming its the correct type. I just got my mom to hold down the throttle for me and the coolant was flowing fine...Ill fix the sensor and clear the code and see if it comes on again.
Is the thermostat an easy do it yourself job?

#6 ·
The coolant you're describing sounds like g12, which would be right, it looks like a very bright pink, almost red. If it were green then you'd have problems.... but yeah the ECT or CTS (coolant temp. sensor as it's often called) seems to be the culprit here, I think that's the same code I had not too long ago, atleast I remember the "temp too low" part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.