VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Short Throw Shifter? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Short Throw Shifter?

Default Short Throw Shifter?

Anyone installed a new shifter on a Jetta MK4 2.0 5-speed? I've been interested in getting a short shifter, but nearly everyone is different in someway. It's not like stock shifter which all have the same shape. I've seen the link on the other Short Shift Thread. It goes to 4 different shifters all claiming to be the same year. Mostly universal for 5 speed gas sticks from 2000-2005.

Also, I was wanting to see how to remove the stock shifter, and maybe even install a short throw? I figure if I can see someone remove the stock I can take it from there...
    I'm needing to adjust the shifter cables, so I figured I could change the shifter while I'm tightening that thing back up.
    THANKS!

Canadian dubber schoolboimario is on a distinguished road schoolboimario's Avatar

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter?

Just shorten the stock one and re-thread it

Simple, looks good if done well, and it's also cheaper.

Already done that... It was really easy, since mine didn't have threads. Just hasn't made much different other then more knuckle room.

Seen an install on the VWForum.com? it was way more complicated then it should be. The guy changed it by taking off everything on the underside of the car! Then reached through inside the car from beneath... I've seen another one require removing the center console, That's what I'm after!
    Thanks for you interest Mario!

Knight of the 3rd Pedal jthommarson is on a distinguished road jthommarson's Avatar

try this one.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Shifter/ES648/

don't know of any DIYs with it but they say 15-20 minute install. It is just the connection on the transmission.
    "In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Quote Originally Posted by jthommarson View Post
    try this one.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Shifter/ES648/

don't know of any DIYs with it but they say 15-20 minute install. It is just the connection on the transmission.
    double check the OP. that works for a 1.8t, and he has a 2.0l. IIRC, they are different, and will not work for him. I could be wrong though.

OP, you may want to check into diesel geek and B&M, i think both make short shifters for your car, and I think each have DIY's

Quote Originally Posted by joenewton07 View Post
    double check the OP. that works for a 1.8t, and he has a 2.0l. IIRC, they are different, and will not work for him. I could be wrong though.

OP, you may want to check into diesel geek and B&M, i think both make short shifters for your car, and I think each have DIY's
    that will fit 2.0 just fine..as well as vr6

Quote Originally Posted by jedduh View Post
    that will fit 2.0 just fine..as well as vr6
    upon further thought, you're right. all mk4 5-speeds use the o2j transmission. carry on then

Thanks for the link. I've looked there before I guess I didn't see that one. Price isn't bad either... Might get it, but it only says 20% reduction. So many others say 40-60%.
    I've got a couple days to think about it, waiting for some money to get back to my paypal.

Thanks for looking out. It says it'll fit. The ones that replace the actual shifter are what seems to be really different.
    You painted your Steels Purple?!?! Doesn't look bad, I just sprayed mine back black. I'll e riding them until I sell my old wheels.
    I've been to Wichita! It's only 2-3 hours from here!

Here is the Neuspeed version. They have them for the different models as well. Looks easy enough

http://www2.neuspeed.com/47/3/0/1663...shift-kit.html

Weekend Dubber Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Hey I just got a B&M short shifter, I absolutely love it, it did take a long ass time to install but it was well worth it

if your any where close to me I would be more then happy to do it since Ive already did it

Quote Originally Posted by 2003gli View Post
    Here is the Neuspeed version. They have them for the different models as well. Looks easy enough

http://www2.neuspeed.com/47/3/0/1663...shift-kit.html
    thats insanely expenive..for a couple bent pieces of steel welded together..200$ crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer0220 View Post
    Hey I just got a B&M short shifter, I absolutely love it, it did take a long ass time to install but it was well worth it

if your any where close to me I would be more then happy to do it since Ive already did it
    cool.....you live where?

I'm in oklahoma Skimmer! You?

delawhere? oops i miss spelled it delaware

oh... Come on down! It's sweltering hot down here, wish I was in delaware now...

its been balls out hot here as well, today is one of the first non 90 degree days in God knows how long

90? Up There?? Wow. I'd love if it dropped below 90. it stays over 90 all night, by noon it's 100+.

yea i guess you got us on that one but its still hot here luckily I do work inside during the hottest hours of the day

2000 GLS 2.0 AEG mbrown3039 is on a distinguished road mbrown3039's Avatar

I will be king of the temparature wars (at least here in the US): within the next few weeks we won't go below 100* at night...daytimes will be upper 'teens (in the shade)....Mike
    Political correctness is killing the USA

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown3039 View Post
    I will be king of the temparature wars (at least here in the US): within the next few weeks we won't go below 100* at night...daytimes will be upper 'teens (in the shade)....Mike
    I feel for you guys

anyhow I would highly recommend the B&M short throw shifter, let us know what you end up going with

Alright Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread