Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

JDM_GUY's MK3 Black Vento/Jetta aka DARK KNIGHT

125K views 288 replies 50 participants last post by  2mcdubs$2.00 
#1 ·
Whats up fellow MK3 Jetta Fans, Id like to introduce my self. My name is Dru and im from NorCal San Francisco area. I have two kids now and I need something convenient by going in and out of a car and so I bought a 1998 Jetta GLX VR6, i got this car because i needed a 4 door car for my growing family yet that has a decent power of a V6 like a sports car that Im used to. It has 135K miles and its a clean california title car, it has few dings here and there but I can fix those as I am going to school as a painted/auto body man. I was never really fond about getting a 4 door car because I always buy a 2 door car for being racey and sporty but im happy with my MK3 Jetta. This is my first time buying a German and its a bit wierd for me because theres so much things that you have to remember meticulously like after putting gas, i have to make sure the gas cap clicks 3 times or check engine light goes on, WOW :eek: lol.... oh well, I'm used to it.

the only thing i dont like about my jetta is the stock suspension ride, it has too much body roll as i like to turn a lot. the 15 inch wheels isnt cutting it for me, these 15's looks like its a 13 on these cars because the body looks bigger and boxy body.

Im asuming some of you guys are probably wondering why my name is JDM_GUY, its because i am originally a JDM junkie maniac. my main project car is a 1975 JDM toyota celica, heres my celica project thread if some of you guys wish to see it http://www.toyotacelicas.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18013

See less See more
#65 ·
0S1R1S,

My check engine light went back on but my scanner gave me only one code this time, which is the P0440 only (secondary air pump). The P0411 went away after installing the N80/Purge Valve which was causing the small evap leak. I am not gonna buy the secondary air pump in the future which would cost me roughly $850 but with my discount for $636. I have discovered a Performance ECU chip that disables the secondary air pump and disables to secondary O2 sensor, yet will also give my mk3 Jetta VR6 HP & torque performance at the same time. This ECU chip that I plan to purchase will only cost about $220 to my door, I will disclose what brand ECU performance chip once I have it.

#68 ·
thanks for the kudos guys for giving me credits on what I do to my own car, fixing cars should only please the owner of the car before others regardless of others think. I build my thread and provide information as I go along with my steps because there's usually and barely no info in the net, so I input as much as infos I can give for others to read and take note of.

I have ordered some parts for my Mk3 jetta vr6 and it should be on the way soon. I will update when I have them ready to be installed ^_^

#69 ·
I have received my Race File Performance chip for my 1998 mk3 Jetta VR6 12v motor that I have purchased from www.c2motorsports.com for $220 to my door. Heres a direct link from c2 http://www.c2motorsports.com/index....tegory_id=116&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58 or it can be purchased from http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4194 for the same price. I recommend the C2 performance chip especially to all California owners who drive a Mk3 or mk4 jetta/golf because it does not affect smog check when it comes to that.
The performance chip called Lays barbecue chip can be purchased at your local corner grocery store for $1, this is a must have to complete the installation of the ECU performance chip.

C2 performance chip offers 2 different types of ECU chip, the versions are RACE FILE and Street file. I have the race file version... The reason why I decided to purchase a Race File C2 performance chip for my mk3 vr6 12v is because of the benefits my car can get from the programs that the C2 has to offer, unlike what other performance chip doesn't. below is the following why...
Improvements include:

• -Better throttle response
  • -Better midrange power
  • -Improved overall drive ability
  • -Increased rev limiter to 7200rpm
  • -Deleted speed governor
  • -Secured off-idle control
  • -Hi-Flow CAT compatible
Not only is this a performance file, but it also deletes the secondary air injection pump and the rear oxygen sensor while still setting readiness. This gives you the option of running a test pipe (catalytic converter delete) without having to worry about a check engine light. This file is tuned on 93 octane, however the ECU will pull enough timing if you had to run 91 or even 89. The chip will also works very well with a pair of performance cams. There is also an option for higher compression (HC) for those running a MK4 head gasket.

Having this chip that deletes the secondary air injection pump saves me huge amount of money from actually buying the secondary air injection pump from the VW dealership, which cost roughly $850 although I can get it for $636.

Here are some pictures I took to provide a guide for anyone that is planning to chip their mk3 Jetta/golf on how to remove and install ECU / ECM performance chip.

First, prepare the following required tools at the pictures below to perform the proper removal/installation.

Tools 1

• -Phillips screw drivers (long & short)
  • -Flat head screw drivers (long & short)
  • -90 degree Plier tip
  • -Open wrench 10mm
  • -10mm open socket
  • -1/4 socket wrench
Tools 2

• -Torx bit (T-15)
  • -Miniture flat head screw driver (eye glass repair type)
Tool 3

• -Vacuume cleaner w/ suction

Step 1
Open up the hood and disconnect the battery (positive and negative), and then locate the passenger side cowl plastic covering. Then remove the cowl rubber strip out of the way. now, unscrew the plastic screws with a Phillips screw driver. when the plastic screw are halfway up, carefully unscrew them off while trying to pry them out with the 90 degree plier.

Step 2
When the passenger side cowl cover are removed, the vacuum cleaner are now required as you can see whats hiding under that cowl plastic cover on my mk3 jetta, I can build a bird nest with those stuff hiding there ;D LMAO! Clean all of those debris and dirts as this is a must to avoid ecu malfunction due to them, especially for early mk3's and mk2's.

Step 3
Unscrew the nut and the bolt with a 10mm socket or wrench to loosen up the ecu/ecm bracket from its place, there will be a white clip at the back that can be pulled up from its place that's also securing the bracket.

Here's a picture of the ECU/ECM number that most performance chip manufacture needs to assure the compatibility of the product. mk3 jetta/golf OBD2 has the following number
***-***-259. mk3 OBD1 has a different ECU/ECM #.

Step 4
Once the whole ECU/ECM is halfway out with the harness, the harness must be disconnected from the ECU/ECM box by carefully prying out the clip that secures the connection with a flat head screw driver.

Step 5
Grab a size 15 (t-15) torx bit to unscrew the torx bolts on all 4 sides to remove the top cover of the ECU/ECM box.

Step 6
Remove the ECU/ECM bracket from the box, then disconnect the ECU/ECM top cover from the box by using a flat head screw driver and lightly tap the top off. Once the top is off, place the circuit board on a flat clean surface away from everything.

Step 7
NOTE: This only applies to mk3 jetta/golf OBD2, OBD1 mk3 jetta/golf requires the chip to be soldered in unlike the obd2. Take the ecu box and the chip to a TV repair shop, computer repair shop, or any shop that deals with soldering CPU to a circuit board.
Grab the miniture flat head screw driver (sunglass repair driver) and carefully pry off the OEM ECU/ECM CPU from its retainer box by alternating from one end to other end. pay close attention to where to end of the CPU where the notch is located, the performance chip has to be installed the same way how the OEM CPU was where the notch was located.

In this picture, the OEM ECU/ECM PCU is on the left and the C2 performance chip is on the right.

Step 8
Install The performance chip by carefully pressing in the CPU in the retainer, pay close attention to the CPU wires by making sure that the wires aligned to the wires on the retainer.

Step 9
Reverse the steps from Step 6 to install everything back to its place. once everything is on to its place, connect the battery wires to the battery, turn on the ignition without starting the car so that the ECU/ECM recalibrates it self for good 5 mins. while waiting for the recalibration of the ECU/ECM, enjoy an edible performance chip for the hard work like I am in this picture.

After installing the performance chip into my mk3 jetta vr6. I went for a test drive around my block and I was really amazed on the gained performance from the C2 performance chip. The brand spanking new tires seems like they want to burn out on me on 1st and 2nd gear when the gas pedal is to the floor. It feels like there's better throttle response each time i step on the gas, my mk3 jetta vr6 is lot more aggressive. I still got to purchase a good headers and exhaust system to see the full potential of the C2 performance chip. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, spending $220 is well worth the gains.

The following websites is where I got my informations regarding ECU/ECM removal and installation of performance chip, thank you for the information to each respective owners of each site.
http://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/chipping-a-vw-jetta-ecu
http://www.tdtuning.com/wp/?page_id=46

Note: for mk3 jetta/golf owners who has a 4 cylinder 2.0 or 1.8 engine, here's a link to where you can purchase performance chip
http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=1517

#70 ·
Good info on the chip, Dru! I think the P.O. of my Mk3 chipped mine out, and I kinda wanted to see if he did. So the ECU removal/installation instructions should go a long way for me. Keep the mods coming. Can't wait to see what's next.

Oh, as a side note, I see you're in 3rd ID, huh? I used to be in 3rd ID also - Rock of the Marne, bro!

#71 ·
It should be easy since I made a real clear instructions on my thread for your investigation of your ECU/ECM.

Yeah I was in the 3rd ID in Georgia, was in the motor pool as a 63Bravo working on humviees and the hummits that has the V8 turbo and supercharged motor.

#74 ·
That's not necessarily true if you combine it with a exhaust system but that's only true if aftermarket headers are alone with the stock exhaust system.

Engines work off from combustion, which is air and fuel that gets burned off for power. The combusted air and gas are exhausted throughout the exhaust system. The reason why we put intakes are because we want more air ratio that can be crammed into the engine to produce power, and used air needs to escape. If a car has a restricted exhaust system, then the combusted air and gas are pretty much restricted from flowing when using a stock exhaust system. If we upgrade the headers alone and don't have aftermarket exhaust, the header will help the combusted air a little bit up to the end of the headers, then the combusted air and gas will just run to a stock small exhaust system (cat to exhaust tip). The stock exhaust system will not be able to handle the extra air which could actually lose horsepower from that, that's why headers must be accommodated with after market exhaust system so that the combusted air and gas can pass through without any restriction, but it can't be too large as cars needs back pressure as well.

I did some training in Benning when I was a 19Kilo. When I got out, I had changed MOS's to 31Delta in Germany
Sweet, looks like you were in the service for quite some time. I wanted to go to Germany or Japan which it wasn't offered to me at all, I wanted to see where the cool cars are.

#76 ·
I understand how an opened up exhaust system will help the engine, but the factory header is pretty much perfect when it comes to exhaust flow. Ever been over to VWVortex.com? They will explain much better how a header on a mkIII will do nothing except lose low end torque

#77 ·
Yeah I know that website, Im feelin more of a home here with you guys. I will keep that in mind then if that's really true so I will make headers my last priority then :)

#78 ·
Finally, my personalized front Euro plate came in that I have purchased from Germany Ebay for $35 shipped to my door. Here's a link to the seller in Ebay that sells all sort of German license plate http://motors.shop.ebay.com/buy-german/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg= .The one I purchased comes with a front license plate case holder too ^_^. I have chosen the Volkswagen slogan "DAS AUTO" for my mk3 Jetta, meaning "The Car" in English translation.

In this picture, I have made holes on my bumper to mount the Euro frame. I just made 4 holes on the bumper not exceeding the US plate holder in case when I need to place the US plate back and the new holes will not show.

Here's a picture of my Euro plate installed to my mk3 Jetta. finally my car looks officially German with the German license plate on :D. The installation took only 20 mins to do with the power driller tool. I have used my 4 stock bolts to secure the Euro plate.

#80 ·
LOL no Barbecue Lays Chips? man you dont know what your missin out lol. yeah I can get the Performance chip for you but your gonna have to match the RAND currency to US dollars. i think the current exchange rate right now is 1 USD = 7.215 ZAR. I can do favor for favor, check your PM i have a message for you.

#81 ·
So yesterday I got bored and decided to take off my some badges because it gives away what type of sub model my mk3 Jetta to other drivers behind me. I really want to keep my Jetta a sleeper and low profile from other cars and drivers.

Here's a pic of the badges I planned on taking of, its the GLX and the vr6 badge that gives my car away distinctively.

I have used Tarminator can spray bought from my local auto parts store for $7. Its good for removing hard old adhesive tape, tar, road kill bugs, grease, and such more. I soaked the badges with the Tarminator spray for at least 15 mins so that the adhesive will be soft when attempting to remove the badge and tape. Then I used a cleaning wax called FW1, its a promotion item purchased at my local gas station for $10 a can. These cleaning wax works like wonder, it works even on direct sun light unlike any other wax out there such as turtle wax, mothers, etc...

Here's a pic of the badges off my Jetta, finally I dont have those badges on and it looks a lot cleaner as well as a sleeper for being unknown sub model. The badges has embedded their marks on the paint so it can be seen real close to the car but not far away... it has the 20/20 vision effect, looks good at 20 miles per hour and looks good at 20 feet away LMAO.

#84 ·
Its funny how it think the buggatis look terrible cause it looks like daisy flowers to me. I like tuner types of wheels for some reason. I have a surprise for you guys for my suspension, they're on their way to accommodate my wheels or the looks and ofcourse handling purposes.

#85 ·
As another day passes by again and just waiting for more parts to arrive, I got bored once again and took pictures of my 2 prized cars together... Japanese import meets German Euro import :). I'm amazed how both of my cars are identical to the length from front to back and almost close to width distance. My 1st gen mk1 Celica seems a lot smaller cause its lowered than my mk3 Jetta VR6. I cant wait to lower my Jetta soon ;D.

I'm proud to have both of my cars. One is car show/cruiser/sleeper and one is daily driver sleeper. Drive the right hand drive on the weekend only on sunny days and drive the left hand drive where ever I go daily. It gets confusing when I don't drive both, gotta get used to the rhythm on driving both alternatively.

#86 ·
I have picked up another set of wheels for mk3 MK3 Jetta VR6 from a local Veedub enthusiast for $400, its a 2 piece OEM VW BBS RXII wheels. The specs of the wheels are 16x6.5 5x100 lug nut patterns with the ET (offset) of 42mm, and the centerbore 57.1. It's a pretty clean set of rims with a few rash on one rim out of the four. Here's a link of the specs of the wheels I have and also with other OEM VW BBS wheels http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/wheels/bbs5lug.htm

The tires that were wrapped on the BBS RXII rims when I purchased it was Good Year Eagle GT 205/55-16, which is a lot taller than the recommended tire size for MK3 Jetta/golf. According to www.tirerack.com , I Had to replace the tires to 205/45-16 which is the right recommended tire size. Since its almost winter season, I decided that these rims are gonna be my winter season rims. I have purchased a brand new set of tires for my BBS RXII rims for $430 at my local tire shop, it is now wrapped with Falken ZE-912 High-Performance grip tires, these tires is known to delivers increased hydroplane resistance for maximum wet stability although it's a all season tires. Here's a link to the tires info http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/ZIEX-ZE-912-2 . I also still needed the 5mm spacers for the front since the front brake caliper were slightly not clearing the rims on without them because the brakes on these mk3 Jetta/Golf VR6 are too huge, the rear are fine but I am also gonna space them out later.

Here's a few pics of the rims and tires on my MK3 Jetta VR6. I love the new looks that the rims gave my car, very OEM look and yet sporty. I'm debating on whether I should leave the rims as is or powder coat the center piece to black while the outer lip polished since I'm aiming for all black theme.

I'm still waiting for my JOM coilovers to arrive. I really can't wait to lower my mk3 Jetta to see how both of my BBS and Velocity rims look when lowered.

#88 ·
Thanks Nate. Your going the right way with going coilovers first on your car, I went backwards instead for going rims then coilovers hahaha. I like the rims that you have chosen on your thread, especially the black one, makes me hypnotized every time I look at your thread man lol.

#91 ·
The new rims look AMAZING! Great pick up there, that's a great price for BBS's. I think the black rims with polished lip are overplayed, and I think those look better as they are, but if you want to paint them black go for it, they'll still look great. Can't wait for you to lower it, it's gonna look real nice.

I didn't know your Celica was right hand drive! That is soo dope man! I've always wanted a right hand drive car!

#96 ·
@ McciffGLX,
Thanks man, yeah I like the BBS rims too. The 16's has a better ride comfort because of the recommended tire series of 45, I don't feel the bumps as much as the 17's with 40 series tires. I scored big time on the rims, thanks to a fellow Dubber from Vortex member.

@ sky88s,
If I were to go gold rims, the rims have to be dipped in gold made out of 12 karat only lmao ^_^

@ MinusHuman,
Thanks for the back up man, Im used to the critics lol, thats what forums is made for _^

@ Ve_VW_MK4,
The black rims will be my summer rims because it has the summer tires on them, people say around here that my black rims looks better on the car hahahaha

@ LazarusVR6,
Thanks man... definitely gonna be updating for you guys ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.