Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Timing chain replacement on VR6

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gurgler 
#1 ·
So, I recently purchased a very well cared for 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 with 137,000 miles. The previous and only other owner had been very good about the service, but never had the timing chain replaced.

According to VW you never need to replace the timing chain, but I have read elsewhere that you should replace it and the tensioners after 105k miles. It runs like a dream, smooth and quiet. The mechanic that inspected it said there was no problems. But after reading some of the horror stories of chain failures I'm getting a little nervous. Should I have the chain tensioners replaced on this vehicle or wait until I hear noise?

#2 ·
So, I recently purchased a very well cared for 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 with 137,000 miles. The previous and only other owner had been very good about the service, but never had the timing chain replaced.

According to VW you never need to replace the timing chain, but I have read elsewhere that you should replace it and the tensioners after 105k miles. It runs like a dream, smooth and quiet. The mechanic that inspected it said there was no problems. But after reading some of the horror stories of chain failures I'm getting a little nervous. Should I have the chain tensioners replaced on this vehicle or wait until I hear noise?
Most people suggest every 100k. Heres a good source of info and a DIY if youd like to do it yourself:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1264409

#4 ·
If it isn't rattling, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it WILL need to be done soon, the guides and rails are plastic and break over time, causing the chain to skip teeth which is bad news bears.

Waterpump should been done regardless.

#5 ·
Thanks a bunch for the feedback folks!

The waterpump and head gasket seals were already serviced at 120k I believe. I asked about other common stuff like last oil change and spark plugs. PO has all the receipts but didn't want to give them to me because he's worried about ID theft. He took it to the same dealership for the entire life of the car. I was hoping that I might be able to get some kind of service report on the car from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.