Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

changing the oil every 10k in the dealership??

15K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  htwo 
#1 ·
guys, just some help, do u really wait until 10k to change the oil on these cars? i know its free and included, but it seems for me like 10k its way to much, specially when my car is a jetta 2010 2.0 turbo. Thanks for the help and opinions

#5 ·
10K should be fine for normal driving, assuming you're using the right lubricant. 10K has been the factory OCI for a long while now.

That said, it can't hurt to change it at 5K. I know that some of the new DI engines are tough on oil. Personally, I probably dump a new engine's oil at 5K, and start doing UOAs every 5K after that until the engine stabilized, then probably move to 10K OCIs if analysis showed that was doable.

robert

#7 ·
Oil analysis is the only way to know when to change your oil (for maximum life of the additives). A friend of mine with a fully modded 2.0T (direct injection) has had oil analysis' come back with 7500 mi intervel changes... And direct injection engines have much more fuel/oil dilution than non direct injection (meaning all MKIV's except the TDI's).

It's likely that 10K miles is perfectly fine. Again, an analysis is the only way to tell. www.blackstonelabs.com.

#8 ·
I've been using Amsoil 5W30 full synthetic for years on all my vehicles - I do one oil change a year or up to 20,000miles. The oil and filter are both rated to 25K but with winter idling and driving I don't overdo it. Engines are silky clean on the inside too! I've been doing one oil change a year with Amsoil for nearly a decade with ZERO problems. One of the best synthetics on the market, bar none. I wouldn't go 10K miles on regular dino oil, that's just asking for trouble.

I think as the dealers include maintenance for up to 36K, they extend the oil change intervals primarily to save on costs, as it's free to you, the vehicle owner. After that, the dealer relies on you having engine problems so you come back in for service! 10K is fine for a good synthetic oil, but not for standard conventional oil, sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.