VW Jetta How To/DIY: I need to replace my coil pack!! Help please!!|Forum Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need to replace my coil pack!! Help please!!

Junior Member doctor eli is on a distinguished road doctor eli's Avatar

Default I need to replace my coil pack!! Help please!!

I just bought a 2003 Jetta GLS 2.sl0w . All of the sudden my check engine light came on and i went and got a diagnostic test done. They said i need to replace the ignition coil pack. I got quoted $380 for parts and labor. Can anybody tell me how to locate,remove, and replace the coil pack? IS anyone in San Diego area that could give me hand in replacing them.

Thanks,
    Eli

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Default Re: I need to replace my coil pack!! Help please!!

I believe if you take off your engine cover they are right thurr.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

thanks, i looked but idk where under the engine it is. supposdely mine arent individual, it is one pack

A hint for all you folks who can't figure this stuff out (sorry, I don't have a 2.0, so don't know myself to tell you straight up or I would...)

Go to the Autozone website (parts store) and sign up to the site. Then you can specify your vehicle and they have a repair instruction section. It's free thus not exactly a fabulous shop manual, but there is plenty of good repair information. I changed my head gasket in my old Honda via printing out the repair instructions on the Autozone site. I've done many other things as well, such as finding the Air Idle Control Valve on a Nissan Altima that is literally buried in the engine bay so far that you can't look for it at all, but can only look at a diagram to get an idea then reach into the middle and feel for it.

Really helpful info, such as "where is my coil pack on my car" diagrams.
    2003 Wolfsburg 1.8t 5 sp

Autozone store told me to do that, and i did but they only have how to locate the speed sensor. can you post a pic of where your coil is because maybe its the same?

I have 1.8T, 4 coils above the spark plugs. If you have a distributor, follow the plug wires to the distributor, then the single wire from the distributor to the coil. If you have distributorless, then look where your spark plugs are. If you can't find the spark plugs on a 4 cylinder engine, you should think differently about being a car owner in my opinion...
    2003 Wolfsburg 1.8t 5 sp

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doctor eli View Post
    thanks, i looked but idk where under the engine it is. supposdely mine arent individual, it is one pack
    Ah well my bad, I don't have a 2.0 either haha. My coilpack is on the side of my engine, do what rodgers said and follow your plugs.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

+ Reply to Thread