Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

I need to replace my coil pack!! Help please!!

17K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Vixen 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Jetta GLS 2.sl0w . All of the sudden my check engine light came on and i went and got a diagnostic test done. They said i need to replace the ignition coil pack. I got quoted $380 for parts and labor. Can anybody tell me how to locate,remove, and replace the coil pack? IS anyone in San Diego area that could give me hand in replacing them.

Thanks,
Eli

#4 ·
A hint for all you folks who can't figure this stuff out (sorry, I don't have a 2.0, so don't know myself to tell you straight up or I would...)

Go to the Autozone website (parts store) and sign up to the site. Then you can specify your vehicle and they have a repair instruction section. It's free thus not exactly a fabulous shop manual, but there is plenty of good repair information. I changed my head gasket in my old Honda via printing out the repair instructions on the Autozone site. I've done many other things as well, such as finding the Air Idle Control Valve on a Nissan Altima that is literally buried in the engine bay so far that you can't look for it at all, but can only look at a diagram to get an idea then reach into the middle and feel for it.

Really helpful info, such as "where is my coil pack on my car" diagrams.

#6 ·
I have 1.8T, 4 coils above the spark plugs. If you have a distributor, follow the plug wires to the distributor, then the single wire from the distributor to the coil. If you have distributorless, then look where your spark plugs are. If you can't find the spark plugs on a 4 cylinder engine, you should think differently about being a car owner in my opinion...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.