Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2005 mkIV GLI vs 2002 civic si hatchback

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  slowjet1.8 
#1 ·
Well I wait tables at a diner and last weekend we had to borrow a waiter from another store in town. The guy drove a 2002 civic si hatchback with bronze wheels, 2" drop and a jdm tow hook. I told him after seeing him pull up that I used to own a 2000 civic ls/vtec and he starts talking about how fast, sexy, and awsome his car is. After 2 days of "JDM... blah, blah... carbon fiber... blah, blah... honda rules... blah, blah," I decided I would chase him down after we both got off at the same time on his last day at our store. When I pull up next to him and rev my engine going about 42mph (in my 2005 mk4 gli with no performance mods) I notice by the shake in his car and the rice flying out of his muffler that he downshifts and readys for a race. 3 honks and we were off. Just a quick sprint to 85mph left me about a car length ahead. I let him catch up and we slow down but he has nothing to say so I turn around and head home feeling satisfied to have put him in his place.

VW: 1 | Honda: 0

#3 ·
Meh 85mph is 10 over... I actively cruise 10 over lol.

Assuming there was some sense of safety and intelligence to this, I would think you should've beaten him by more than that.. I think the Hatch SI's are only like 150hp, no? And at that, probably less than 130ft/lbs torque.

Still though, as Ryan mentioned, we don't condone street racing so atleast lie for a part of the story and say it was on a track... After all, we can't control what people do and don't do lol

#4 ·
Your right. Street racing is very wrong and dangerous to not only yourself but others. In the past I've always hated on people who try to talk to me about the topic (like the civic owner I had the misfortune of meeting here) and will continue doing so in the future. Something about this guy had me putting aside my morals just to show him he doesn't own the fastest 4-banger to ever cruise the streets of my town and that a stock gli could out run him.

I wouldn't do it again though unless planned on a closed course. :cool:

#8 ·
Well, its not surprising seeing as I used to own a 2004 Focus ZX3 that was auto and I would race out and beat all the SI civics in my area. Where my ZX3 had 157hp stock with 133 lb. ft of torque, jettas have more power and especially the turbo models as well as a better drivetrain. Honda civic is factory with 109 HP and 93 ft. ibs where a SI has only 22 more HP and 11 more foot ibs torque. It wasnt till 2005 that they decided to increase that output to Si having another 20 foot pounds and anoter 15 HP. they are so pricey cus they have that Honda name and rep for lasting but the cars are nothing in the long haul. It takes a 3k dollar supercharger to put the car over 200HP and thats sad. You put a $1500 supercharger on my 2.0 and it will produce an extra 120HP over my stock 148HP and your killing all hondas while spending a third to half the money.

#9 ·
Honda civic is factory with 109 HP and 93 ft. ibs where a SI has only 22 more HP and 11 more foot ibs torque. It wasnt till 2005 that they decided to increase that output to Si having another 20 foot pounds and anoter 15 HP.
In the interest of accuracy that's not correct. The 2003 Civic SI has 160HP and 132 ft/lb torque.
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=20070606581
(I confirmed with non Honda sites as well.)
Many different Civic models have different power output. The DX, HX, EX, Si, all have different HP and torque amounts. It's not just "Si" and "not Si".

Having said that, the GLI should most definitely have walked all over the Si. Whether from a roll or not, your GLi should've easily had rice for dinner. I love MKIV GLIs... sexy and drool worthy.

#11 ·
this being said yeah you should have beat him but there are still plent of factors at hand. what if he had a motor swap or kpro, then he would have beat you but that brings us to the modded vs. stock discussion. still the good thing about hondas are that they do last forever are way lighter than vw's and you can make them fast for way cheaper than vw's. That being say i love my vw and i have nothing against vw but i do also like honda's for their ability to be fast for cheap. Flame me if you wish im just not a fan boy.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.