Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Vibration issues under 1st&2nd gear acceleration

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  RedWolfsburgTurbo 
#1 ·
I am completely stumped by my annoying problem. I have a 1992 German-built mk2 jetta GLi 16V 2.0. I just repurchased it from the dweeb I shoulda never sold it to. To cut to the chase. There is a fairly intense vibration only when under load, most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear. All the engine/trans mounts are new. The control arms with new front/rear bushings are new, CV axels too... With the clutch pushed in or in neutral, the engine spins to 6000 rpm smoothly indicating timing and fuel delivery are correct (timing correct, injector spray pattern and output seem ok. I am out of ideas. Are there other mounts/bushings (ie: something to do with the subframe? Has anyone even heard of subframe issues really?) I am not thinking of?? The vibration goes away/is not noticeable in 3rd-5th gears as the torque is so much less on/thru the drivetrain etc. It's not wheel balance, as it rides very smoothly. HELP!! Even experienced mechanics are scratching their heads....

#3 ·
I guess with just a bit over 200k anything is possible. Do you know what, if any other symptoms are detectable with a dilapidated/dying diff gives? A tranny/diff is an expensive proposition and a daunting swap to see if that's the cause. But I was, after all the mounts and control-arms being replaced, having to suspect the transaxle... Anyone else care to weigh in? Thanks-

#5 ·
It's been winter here in Colorado, so the windows and sunroof have been closed, but I'll
Take a listen to see if I hear any whine(s) It doesn't feel like it pulls to any one side- but again, I will pay attention
to see..- I'd love to put a LSD in, but not in a trans with over 200k...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.