Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Mk4 Rwd swap discussion

15K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kiwaul 
#1 ·

The main purpose of this thread is to just discuss the theoretical mechanical possibility of a major rwd swap in a mk4 Jetta. I know anything can be done with enough money, and I know some stuff is not even worth doing. I just like having an open discussion because as much as I know, I do not know it all and I am interested in Learning and I like the challenge of trying to figure out a crazy idea.

I'm one for crazy ideas and builds. With having to take my 1.8t out for the 3rd time in 9 months I had joking talks with friends of just putting the RB25 engine from my Datsun in the Jetta. More joking than actual planning. I have been looking for a wrecked r32 or tt for cheap to do awd swap eventually so I was already planning on doing something crazy to the car anyway. I know it is a vast amount of work and money and time and all the things that should keep someone from doing stupid things but after really thinking about it, I'm trying to build a list of what it will actually entail to put a longitudinal and transmission in my Jetta.

With the r32 swap, floor would have to be cut from my mk4 and which ever donor car I get for the swap. I know the major stuff that would need to be done like bracing body so it doesn't move when cutting the floor, measuring all key points to keep geometry correct. Then I had the idea of just using the rear suspension from my rust bucket Datsun and making that work in the Jetta.

The first difference I notice is the angle of the struts, 280z struts are angled in more than the Jetta ones. I have a set of D2 coil overs on my Z that I needed to weld onto the rear hubs of the stock suspension. Those can easily be cut and rewelded to match the angle of the Jetta suspension. I know it is 2 totally different suspension setups and I won't find out all until I were to get into the project.

Obviously the tunnel in the Jetta would need to be enlarged to fit driveshaft and exhaust and I would lose most everything under the dashboard in order to fit the transmission.

I know probably the most difficult thing would be the electrical wiring nightmare of getting 2 different systems to communicate. I the worst case scenario would be all new gauges mated to the RB harness and AEM.

This is still just a pipe dream and nothing may ever come out of it but I figured it would be cool to bring the idea to the forums to discuss and throw crazy ideas around. Plus just making that quick photoshop mockup of the swap was fun as hell and too much fun not to share and discuss.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.