Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

TDI no start after Timing and Water Pump

948 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  TDI_guy 
#1 ·
So to start off I'm new here. I drive a 1998 Jetta TDI 5 speed. I decided to finally replace my water pump which has gradually started to leak worse and worse. So I also did the timing belt. My first time doing this as well... My first shot, I had the wrong mark on the flywheel... I had the pump locked with a tap that fit nice and snug, and the cam with a feeler gauge and some flat steel. Well when I got the belt on and went to rotate the engine at the crank with my breaker bar I had some resistance. So I obviously knew somethig wasn't right. so I stopped and found the RIGHT timing mark. Got the belt on again, rotated the engine at the crank 3-4 times with the breaker bar and everything went smooth. But when I went to start the car NOTHING! Nothing but a big cloud of blueish smoke from under the hood near the intake manifold... Do I have it out of time yet? I checked and rechecked and everything seems to be perfect! Did I bend the valves by screwing up the first time... Maybe the cloud of smoke is from it being slightly out of time? I read online to loosen the IP mounting bolts and twist the pump towards the engine and retighten but that made no difference...
Thank you in advance everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.