Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Wiper won't shut off, or fails.

5K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  PowerslavePA 
#1 ·
When I would use my intermittent wiper function, the momentary press, or turn them off,
the wipers would not shut off; Here is why:

The seal failed, and allowed water, and dirt into the housing of the motor.

The metal/copper strip on the round gear is the park area. When you turn your wipers
off, there are two leaf contacts that get continuity when they hit the copper strip.
If the system is off, the wipers park, if still on the continuity is ignored and the wipers
continue to run.

NEXT:

These are the contact leafs, you can see how contaminated they got. The caking of
dirt on the leaf contacts, and the copper strip, it could not sense continuity, so the
wipers continued to run even when they were off. Turning the car off, when they
got into the park position was the only way to shut them down. There were times when
I had to pull them back down, as the gears began to strip, the park location changed.

Eventually, THIS happened:

The spiral gear began to tear teeth off the ring gear, or got pushed backwards a little
and lost contact with the ring gear because of all the dirt in the unit. It eventually
quit working altogether.

Here is a top view of both halves:

No water or dirt got into the motor side, but there was surface wear on the magnets.

I managed to find an ENTIRE wiper assembly on Ebay for $68.77, that was the carriage
and motor, all one unit, and installed it as arrived. I have a spare linkage set now...

This is what I have left over, the original part, and not even 80,000 miles on it...

So, when you look on eBay for a replacement, you'll probably get the entire assembly,
with the motor on it, or maybe I got lucky. This one is boxed up in my attic.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.