Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Vacuum hoses, 03 jetta gli (2.8l, 24v)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  veearesicks 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I've been doing some research on vacuum lines on the jetta, not finding any resources on it. I have noticed poor braking, and found out that the brakes are boosted by vacuum lines. What else is driven by vacuum lines in these cars? Can anyone give me a list or somewhere with good references? I was going to buy a repair manual but i dont think i will have the car much longer. Going to fix a few things and sell.
In case they are related --
I have no a.c. currently, but i assume it is from being 10 years past due for a recharge
No heat, but i think i have some chunks of plastic in the heater core
Poor braking

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
If there's no charge in the AC lines, you have a leak.

Brakes could be quite a few things. Glazed or overheated pads and rotors, old brake fluid, vacuum lines leaking from the intake to the brake booster or the one way check valves have gone bad, brake booster/brake master cylinder has gone bad. Just depends on the symptoms.

Is the nrake pedal spongy? Pulsating? Feels like it's just not stopping or requires more braking force to stop?

If you are mechanically inclined, pull the wheels and measure your brake pads. Are they even inside and outside?

If not, there are shops that will do free brake inspections so you can at least get an idea of what's going on.

#3 ·
Hey kidgib, thanks for the reply.
Regarding AC -- wouldnt be surprised by a leak. I was mainly bringing it up because I wasnt sure if any valves are driven by the vacuum lines.

As for brakes, i just feel like it has very little stopping power. I guess it feels like it has the brakes of a smaller vehicle on it. I did some careful listening the other day. When the engine is shut off, i can hear a hissing for about a second. Going to get in there with a stethoscope over the weekend. Should a vacuum leak trip a CEL? Working on getting a shop manual so i don't have to post questions like this.
I've also read complaints about these cars just not having the best brakes. I think i might get the brakes inspected though, that is a good idea. I am mechanically inclined but lack experience in a variety of automotive things -- the concepts are clear to me, i just dont have the background of knowing what "normally" does what -- for example, what things tend to be driven by what mechanisms. Free time is also an issue, so not having to tinker to get answers is very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.